how to make a USB memory stick bootable?

Discussion in 'DIY PC' started by Des, Mar 9, 2011.

  1. Des

    Des Guest

    Is this possible. I bought one some time ago and formatted it. Wish I
    hadn't

    TIA

    Desmond.
     
    Des, Mar 9, 2011
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. On 3/9/2011 5:43 AM, Des wrote:
    > Is this possible. I bought one some time ago and formatted it. Wish I
    > hadn't
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Desmond.


    You don't mention what operating system you wanted to use so here are
    some URL's with a mixture of windows and Linux methods.

    http://www.intowindows.com/bootable-usb/

    http://downloadsquad.switched.com/2...b-installer-for-windows-xp-vista-7-with-wint/

    http://www.megaleecher.net/Make_Bootable_USB

    http://www.webupd8.org/2009/04/4-ways-to-create-bootable-live-usb.html

    With luck you should be able to use one of these to do what you want.
     
    GlowingBlueMist, Mar 9, 2011
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Des

    Des Guest

    On Mar 9, 12:36 pm, GlowingBlueMist <>
    wrote:
    > On 3/9/2011 5:43 AM, Des wrote:
    >
    > > Is this possible. I bought one some time ago and formatted it. Wish I
    > > hadn't

    >
    > > TIA

    >
    > > Desmond.

    >
    > You don't mention what operating system you wanted to use so here are
    > some URL's with a mixture of windows and Linux methods.
    >
    > http://www.intowindows.com/bootable-usb/
    >
    > http://downloadsquad.switched.com/2009/08/27/make-a-bootable-usb-inst...
    >
    > http://www.megaleecher.net/Make_Bootable_USB
    >
    > http://www.webupd8.org/2009/04/4-ways-to-create-bootable-live-usb.html
    >
    > With luck you should be able to use one of these to do what you want.


    Ok thanks for this. The first one is ok as I am on windows 7. Problem
    is this is to make a bootable windows 7 usb. What I need is a bootable
    USB and put the equivalent of an autorun.inf file on it with the name
    of the exe if that makes sense.
     
    Des, Mar 9, 2011
    #3
  4. On 3/9/2011 8:39 AM, Des wrote:
    > On Mar 9, 12:36 pm, GlowingBlueMist<>
    > wrote:
    >> On 3/9/2011 5:43 AM, Des wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is this possible. I bought one some time ago and formatted it. Wish I
    >>> hadn't

    >>
    >>> TIA

    >>
    >>> Desmond.

    >>
    >> You don't mention what operating system you wanted to use so here are
    >> some URL's with a mixture of windows and Linux methods.
    >>
    >> http://www.intowindows.com/bootable-usb/
    >>
    >> http://downloadsquad.switched.com/2009/08/27/make-a-bootable-usb-inst...
    >>
    >> http://www.megaleecher.net/Make_Bootable_USB
    >>
    >> http://www.webupd8.org/2009/04/4-ways-to-create-bootable-live-usb.html
    >>
    >> With luck you should be able to use one of these to do what you want.

    >
    > Ok thanks for this. The first one is ok as I am on windows 7. Problem
    > is this is to make a bootable windows 7 usb. What I need is a bootable
    > USB and put the equivalent of an autorun.inf file on it with the name
    > of the exe if that makes sense.
    >

    The real problem is that Windows install customizes the software to work
    with the hardware it is attached to at the time of install. If you then
    take the USB and try to boot from it using a different computer the
    chances of it working are slim due to the hardware differences that
    exist. Motherboard drivers, hard drive drivers, ETC.

    If you always plan to use it with the same motherboard then the above
    problem goes away.

    It sounds like you really want to plug in a USB and be able to run
    "portable" programs from it. If that is true then you should be able to
    do what you want much easier. A quick search for portable applications
    or portable USB applications will give you an example of what is available.
     
    GlowingBlueMist, Mar 10, 2011
    #4
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.

Share This Page