happywave.gif

Attachments

• 2009-01-30_164018.png
    2009-01-30_164018.png
    84.1 KB · Views: 429
Reaction score
To many antispy progs.

Can some one advise me:
I`ve got "SuperAnti Spyware" Which is free.
And "C.A, security center" anti virus prog. Which costs me about £30 per year. Also I have AOLs own spyware program,which scans my computer now and again. Now what I would like to know is; do these programs interfear with the running of the computer,that is can they slow it down.And have I got to many running. If so which one should I get rid of?
Thanks for any replies.
historian.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Loose the AOL crap and use Malwarebytes instead imo. :)

Super Anti Spyware and MalwareBytes are scanners not guards. So use Windows defender for a guard that runs in the background.

Never heard of that CA AV, so cant comment on how good it is. Personally i'd go for NOD32 or Kaspersky if you wish to pay for an security suite. Antivir and Keiro if you want free. All can be found in the above link. :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
You can speed up your pc by getting rid of all the AOL software on your pc by connecting a router or a router/modem.
In the past I have used AOL's modem through a Linskys 4 port router. Now I am using a modified BT router/modem. Never had any problems at all. No crashing AOL software or updates etc.

nod.gif

Reaction score
Hi Abarbarian.

Thanks for your reply,and to everyone else.
I really do not know a lot about computers or about modems and routers,so please help me here. You say to get rid of the AOL software and it`s modem, is that right? But if I do that will I not lose AOL it self and then have to go looking for another provider? And, should I go down this path, what is a "modem/router" Where do I find such a beast and at what cost?
Am I making myself clear?
historian :confused:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Historian at the moment you have,

Phone wall socket > cable to AOL modem > cable to pc > AOLsoftware ok when it is working fine, using up cpu and space on pc and downloading updates an consuming time when you switch pc on.

Here is an alternative,

Phone wall socket > cable to router/modem > cable to pc > no software of anykind, switch on pc and you have instant connection, an you get extra protection via router/modem = paradise.

Or you could go,

Phone wall socket > cable to router > cable to AOL modem > cable to pc > no software of anykind, switch on pc and you have instant connection, an you get extra protection via router/modem = paradise.

Someone here at the site has a link too a good site for secondhand router/modems hopefully they will read this and post. Or someone here will give advice as to the most suitable piece of equipment for you.

I have a Linskys 4 port router you could have for £3 + postage but you might get a better deal elswhere. See what folks advise first.

I'm still using AOL's free McAfee Firewall and I have done both of the above and it still updates etc etc . You do have to download McAfee Firewall software from the site and download it while you have the AOL software on your pc first before you get rid of the AOL software, then install it when you are AOL free.

Hope this helps.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Historian at the moment you have,

Phone wall socket > cable to AOL modem > cable to pc > AOLsoftware ok when it is working fine, using up cpu and space on pc and downloading updates an consuming time when you switch pc on.

Here is an alternative,

Phone wall socket > cable to router/modem > cable to pc > no software of anykind, switch on pc and you have instant connection, an you get extra protection via router/modem = paradise.

Or you could go,

Phone wall socket > cable to router > cable to AOL modem > cable to pc > no software of anykind, switch on pc and you have instant connection, an you get extra protection via router/modem = paradise.

Someone here at the site has a link too a good site for secondhand router/modems hopefully they will read this and post. Or someone here will give advice as to the most suitable piece of equipment for you.

I have a Linskys 4 port router you could have for £3 + postage but you might get a better deal elswhere. See what folks advise first.

I'm still using AOL's free McAfee Firewall and I have done both of the above and it still updates etc etc . You do have to download McAfee Firewall software from the site and download it while you have the AOL software on your pc first before you get rid of the AOL software, then install it when you are AOL free.

Hope this helps.

happywave.gif
Many thanks for your reply sorry for not getting back you to sooner.
I think I`m more puzzled than ever by the different roads you suggest.If I get rid of AOLs softwear does it mean that I will lose my e-mails,or the part of thr programme down loads them?
historian

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple Silly

What AB was tryin to say was to take out one of the equations not needed ... the AOL software.

BT have similar behaviors, as do many ISP's, is all designed to make their life easier, however, it confuse a lot of people lot of the time.

I don't have any ISP software runnin, especial their free Norton AV program. :lol:

You don't need any ISP software, if you do, then you with the wrong ISP. :nod:

Now, havin said that, what you got ain't doing you any harm (AOHell syndrome not in effect) and it works ... leave it be ... if I, or any of the others are passing your house, I'm sure we can "fix" it over a cup of coffee ... ;)

It ain't broke, don't fix it. :thumb:

I have heard of CA, they were in the forefront in the good ol' days of DOS ... today I use ESET NOD32 AV ... when your subs run out, have a look for a better cheaper alternative, but until then, enjoy your PC. :nod:

:user:

Ask a Question