    On this machine I am using Word 97 that I picked up long ago and
    re-installed on my XP machine. One our Vista machiune we have M$ Office
    2002 student version.

    John Gilmer, Sep 22, 2007

  2. John

    Try using Page Layout View for editing and Print Preview for final check of
    results.

    You need to select the phrase to be inverted. Then use Format, Borders and
    Shading and select the Background Tab. Set the background colour to Black
    and OK to close the dialog. The text should not be white on a black
    background. However, I suggest that you select the phrase again and use
    Format, Font and choose WHITE as the font colour rather than Automatic as
    frequently printer drivers screw up Automatic and print black text on the
    black background!

    --
    Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

    Terry Farrell, Sep 22, 2007

  3. John Gilmer

    CyberTaz Guest

    <snip>
    > I would like to be able to separate the location of boxes from the content

    <snip>

    This cannot be done. Everything in a Word doc is tied to the text as either
    In Line or Anchored to a paragraph. Terry's suggestion to work in Print
    Layout View is as close as it gets to being able to "see what's going on".

    For what you want to do you really should consider using a Desktop
    Publishing (page layout) program rather than a word processing application.

    Regards |:>)
    Bob Jones
    [MVP] Office:Mac

    CyberTaz, Sep 22, 2007
  4. John Gilmer

    John Gilmer Guest

    > For what you want to do you really should consider using a Desktop
    > Publishing (page layout) program rather than a word processing
    > application.

    I'm sure you are correct.

    BUT M$ Word 97 is the best I have and that's that.

    Slight OT: Word seems to have been "billed" as "do everything."

    I am an "old guy" but I think I would have not major problems with M$ Word
    if I could easily determine WTF it is doing.

    For example: 1) a "right click" on a text box would reveal both backward
    and forward links; 2) etc.

    John Gilmer, Sep 22, 2007
  5. John Gilmer

    CyberTaz Guest

    Hi John -

    On 9/22/07 6:01 PM, in article ,
    "John Gilmer" <nni/> wrote:

    >> For what you want to do you really should consider using a Desktop
    >> Publishing (page layout) program rather than a word processing
    >> application.

    > I'm sure you are correct.
    >
    > BUT M$ Word 97 is the best I have and that's that.

    In your first post you indicated that you also have the Student/Teacher
    edition of 2002(XP), which provides 3 installations. Unless they have all
    been previously activated you could install it on the WinXP system - whether
    it's "better" than 97 is open to discussion:)

    > Slight OT: Word seems to have been "billed" as "do everything."

    Well, sure... Have you ever seen *anything* advertised as being something
    less than the best (other than the old "We try harder" ploy by Avis)? It's
    just a matter of what you have to go through to get it done:)

    > I am an "old guy" but I think I would have not major problems with M$ Word
    > if I could easily determine WTF it is doing.

    We're all in the same boat here:) Not that it can't usually be determined,
    but it's the "easily" that eludes us - and this directly relates to the
    point above.

    > For example: 1) a "right click" on a text box would reveal both backward
    > and forward links; 2) etc.

    I'm not certain I follow you here and I haven't used 97 in years, so I don't
    remember for sure. If 97 supports linked text boxes you should also find
    that:

    Right-clicking the first produces a menu with a "Next Text Box" command,

    Right-clicking the last box has a "Previous Text Box" command. And

    Right-clicking the one in the "middle" should contain *both* commands.

    Just make sure you right-click the *boundary* of the box rather than within
    the box - the contextual menu will have different content.

    Good Luck |:>)
    Bob Jones
    [MVP] Office:Mac

    CyberTaz, Sep 23, 2007
  6. Actually, Office XP for Students and Teachers allows installation on
    only one computer at a time. The three-computer license was introduced
    in Office 2003 Students and Teachers Edition.

    garfield-n-odie [MVP], Sep 23, 2007
  7. John Gilmer

    CyberTaz Guest

    Thanks for the correction :)