How to fix ThorConnWndClass error.

Discussion in 'Microsoft Outlook Discussion' started by Guest, Feb 13, 2006.

    I get this error each time I close Outlook 2003 and try to reboot my Windows
    XP SP2 PC. Any suggestions for a fix?

    Guest, Feb 13, 2006

    Vanguard Guest

    "cab112" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I get this error each time I close Outlook 2003 and try to reboot my
    >Windows
    > XP SP2 PC. Any suggestions for a fix?

    When you start Outlook, it has to also load all add-ons and plug-ins that
    are installed for it. When Outlook exits, it first has to unload all these
    add-ons and plug-ins. So it appears you have an add-on or plug-in that
    errors on exit. Start Outlook in its safe mode ("outlook.exe /safe") to see
    if the problem goes away as none of the add-ons and plug-ins get loaded in
    safe mode (so they don't have to be unloaded later).

    If Outlook's safe mode works, disable all the add-ons and plug-ins. Look
    under Tools -> Options -> Other -> Advanced to see what add-ons and plug-ins
    you have installed. Then disable them to see, exit Outlook, reload Outlook,
    and then check if exiting Outlook generates the error again. If not, keep
    reenabling them one at a time, cycle through Outlook and exit again until
    you see the error reappear, and then you know which add-on or plug-in is
    causing the problem.

    Have you tried using Detect and Repair (under an Office component's Help
    menu)? You will need the install CD (and then follow with Office updates).

    I see a "MSN.ThorConnWndClass" string in the %windir%\system32\inetcomm.dll
    file. A Google search on "+thorconnwndclass +outlook" shows it is an old
    problem. Since you are using Windows XP,
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q182022/ doesn't look like it applies but
    you might want to visit Windows Update to make sure you have them all.

    Are the copies of the file exactly the same under:

    %windir%\system32\inetcomm.dll
    %windir%\system32\dllcache\inetcomm.dll

    You may need to use a DOS prompt to get to the DLLcache folder since
    Explorer will hide it (even if the option to display hidden files is enabled
    as it is considered a special folder). Use the 'fc' DOS program at a DOS
    prompt to compare the 2 files ("fc /b <file1> <file2>"). If they are not
    the same, copy the one from the DLLcache folder, or run "sfc /scannow", and
    then follow with a visit to Windows Update.

    It could also be that you or malware have corrupted the registry so this DLL
    is not properly registered (in the registry). Try running the following:

    cd %windir%\system32
    regsvr32 inetcomm.dll

    Post replies to the newsgroup. Share with others.

    Vanguard, Feb 13, 2006