    width on a report or how to change it's value. I am not looking to add
    program code, I am looking to use Access software as a user not a programmer.

    There are not value past the width allowable for printing.

    JmbSupport, Sep 24, 2008

  2. JmbSupport

    fredg Guest

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 10:02:01 -0700, JmbSupport wrote:

    > I have Microsoft Access 2007.
    >
    > When I do print preview of a simple report I get this message:
    >
    > "The section width is greater than the pagewidth, and there are no items in
    > the additional space, so some pages may be blank. For example, the report
    > width may be wider than the page width."
    >
    > It sounds easy to fix but I can't determine how to reduce the value of the
    > section width. When I search HELP I can not find a definition of the section
    > width on a report or how to change it's value. I am not looking to add
    > program code, I am looking to use Access software as a user not a programmer.
    >
    > There are not value past the width allowable for printing.

    The message is misleading. There is no separate Section Width, as
    such, in a report. It is the Report's Width that is too wide.

    The combined width of the report plus the width of the left and right
    margins is greater than the width of the paper.
    Either make the width of the report less (by dragging the right edge
    leftward) or decrease the width of the left and right margins, or
    both.

    If you can't drag the right edge of the report towards the left you
    probably have a control (usually a line) extending to the current
    right position. It can be just at the extreme top or bottom of a
    section which means it is going to be hard to see in Design View.
    Use the Object drop-down control to highlight each line in turn until
    you find the culprit. Reposition it or make it shorter, then drag the
    right edge to the wanted size. There may be more than just one line
    that needs to be adjusted.

    --
    Fred
    Please respond only to this newsgroup.

    fredg, Sep 24, 2008

  3. JmbSupport

    Guest

    On Sep 24, 8:01 pm, fredg <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 10:02:01 -0700, JmbSupport wrote:
    > > I have Microsoft Access 2007.

    > > When I do print preview of a simple report I get this message:

    > > "The section width is greater than the pagewidth, and there are no items in
    > > the additional space, so some pages may be blank.  For example, the report
    > > width may be wider than the page width."

    > > It sounds easy to fix but I can't determine how to reduce the value of the
    > > section width.  When I search HELP I can not find a definition of thesection
    > > width on a report or how to change it's value.  I am not looking to add
    > > program code, I am looking to use Access software as a user not a programmer.

    > > There are not value past the width allowable for printing.

    > The message is misleading. There is no separate Section Width, as
    > such, in a report. It is the Report's Width that is too wide.
    >
    > The combined width of the report plus the width of the left and right
    > margins is greater than the width of the paper.
    > Either make the width of the report less (by dragging the right edge
    > leftward) or decrease the width of the left and right margins, or
    > both.
    >
    > If you can't drag the right edge of the report towards the left you
    > probably have a control (usually a line) extending to the current
    > right position. It can be just at the extreme top or bottom of a
    > section which means it is going to be hard to see in Design View.
    > Use the Object drop-down control to highlight each line in turn until
    > you find the culprit. Reposition it or make it shorter, then drag the
    > right edge to the wanted size. There may be more than just one line
    > that needs to be adjusted.
    >
    > --
    > Fred
    > Please respond only to this newsgroup.
    > I do not reply to personal e-mail

    Gentle people, I am at wits end ... Trying to print a payment slip
    from a
    report in ms access on a paper - portrait, paper width 102mm, paper
    height 296mm, report width 91,55 mm, left margin 3,42 mm, right margin
    3,4 mm, report height 285mm, top margin 3mm, bottom margin 5,01 mm.
    This ought to leave me ample space to print my report onto one page,
    but yet - I get a properly printed page followed by a white page ...
    Dragged the right edge of the report as far as it did go to the left
    and
    ended - no surprise - at 91,55 mm report width! I even tried to
    extend
    the paper size and to reduce the report size to no avail! One thing I
    have to mention - all values in the report are turned vertically!

    Any ideas where I may go wrong?

    , Nov 3, 2008
  4. JmbSupport

    Guest

    Thanks for the reply!

    To the best of my knowledge - decimal point or comma is set
    from the options for the region you are in. In my case it is a
    decimal comma and I can't help it - the payment slip is
    102mm wide and 296mm high. Finally - all values turned
    vertically has historic reasons, but I tried landscape as well
    with the same result (i.e. the same error message).

    A sleepless night helped to come up with a further line of
    investigation which I followed in the morning. While doing
    so I stumbled accidentally on the explanation for this
    message and the solution:

    It is not (NOT) sufficient to look just at the objects and
    their placement in the report! Unfortunately I am on a
    German language system and I can only hope my trans-
    lations will really reflect how I found the culprit and fixed
    the problem. Clicking on "File" while looking at a report
    and then clicking on "Page setup" (or similar) opens a
    window with printing options for the report. Under
    heading "Columns" (or similar - on the right hand side)
    one finds values for column width and height. If those
    values are larger than report plus margins - the error
    message appears! Erasing the values and activating
    the checkbox "like detail area" (or similar) solves the
    problem.

    Best regards!
    Ernst

    , Nov 4, 2008
  5. JmbSupport

    Guest

    On Tuesday, November 4, 2008 9:31:09 AM UTC-6, (unknown) wrote:
    > Thanks for the reply!
    >
    > To the best of my knowledge - decimal point or comma is set
    > from the options for the region you are in. In my case it is a
    > decimal comma and I can't help it - the payment slip is
    > 102mm wide and 296mm high. Finally - all values turned
    > vertically has historic reasons, but I tried landscape as well
    > with the same result (i.e. the same error message).
    >
    > A sleepless night helped to come up with a further line of
    > investigation which I followed in the morning. While doing
    > so I stumbled accidentally on the explanation for this
    > message and the solution:
    >
    > It is not (NOT) sufficient to look just at the objects and
    > their placement in the report! Unfortunately I am on a
    > German language system and I can only hope my trans-
    > lations will really reflect how I found the culprit and fixed
    > the problem. Clicking on "File" while looking at a report
    > and then clicking on "Page setup" (or similar) opens a
    > window with printing options for the report. Under
    > heading "Columns" (or similar - on the right hand side)
    > one finds values for column width and height. If those
    > values are larger than report plus margins - the error
    > message appears! Erasing the values and activating
    > the checkbox "like detail area" (or similar) solves the
    > problem.
    >
    > Best regards!
    > Ernst

    Thank you, Ernst!! I am using only one column and printing on a half-sheet. However, I had to adjust the column size smaller and then it worked.

    , Aug 8, 2012
  6. JmbSupport

    Guest

    On Wednesday, August 8, 2012 2:29:43 PM UTC-4, wrote:
    > On Tuesday, November 4, 2008 9:31:09 AM UTC-6, (unknown) wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks for the reply!

    > > To the best of my knowledge - decimal point or comma is set

    > > from the options for the region you are in. In my case it is a

    > > decimal comma and I can't help it - the payment slip is

    > > 102mm wide and 296mm high. Finally - all values turned

    > > vertically has historic reasons, but I tried landscape as well

    > > with the same result (i.e. the same error message).

    > > A sleepless night helped to come up with a further line of

    > > investigation which I followed in the morning. While doing

    > > so I stumbled accidentally on the explanation for this

    > > message and the solution:

    > > It is not (NOT) sufficient to look just at the objects and

    > > their placement in the report! Unfortunately I am on a

    > > German language system and I can only hope my trans-

    > > lations will really reflect how I found the culprit and fixed

    > > the problem. Clicking on "File" while looking at a report

    > > and then clicking on "Page setup" (or similar) opens a

    > > window with printing options for the report. Under

    > > heading "Columns" (or similar - on the right hand side)

    > > one finds values for column width and height. If those

    > > values are larger than report plus margins - the error

    > > message appears! Erasing the values and activating

    > > the checkbox "like detail area" (or similar) solves the

    > > problem.

    > > Best regards!

    > > Ernst

    > Thank you, Ernst!! I am using only one column and printing on a half-sheet. However, I had to adjust the column size smaller and then it worked.

    I just had this same problem, but I was able to fix it by going to the tiny! icon in the upper-left corner of the Design View of the report. Right-clicking on it gives me a menu of options for what to do and try and correctthe problem. I chose "Remove Extra Space" or something like that and voila, everything was resized laterally for me. (I had previously a lot of extra columns and information in my report, but I removed those, resized, and repositioned the remaining columns, so now everything fits better and the resulting exported printout is about a third of the original size.)

    Mike

    , Dec 3, 2013
  7. JmbSupport

    Guest

    THANK YOU, THANK YOU,THANK YOU, THANK YOU!
    I have been banging my head on the keyboard, and you have solved my problem

    On Tuesday, November 4, 2008 10:31:09 AM UTC-5, wrote:
    > Thanks for the reply!
    >
    > To the best of my knowledge - decimal point or comma is set
    > from the options for the region you are in. In my case it is a
    > decimal comma and I can't help it - the payment slip is
    > 102mm wide and 296mm high. Finally - all values turned
    > vertically has historic reasons, but I tried landscape as well
    > with the same result (i.e. the same error message).
    >
    > A sleepless night helped to come up with a further line of
    > investigation which I followed in the morning. While doing
    > so I stumbled accidentally on the explanation for this
    > message and the solution:
    >
    > It is not (NOT) sufficient to look just at the objects and
    > their placement in the report! Unfortunately I am on a
    > German language system and I can only hope my trans-
    > lations will really reflect how I found the culprit and fixed
    > the problem. Clicking on "File" while looking at a report
    > and then clicking on "Page setup" (or similar) opens a
    > window with printing options for the report. Under
    > heading "Columns" (or similar - on the right hand side)
    > one finds values for column width and height. If those
    > values are larger than report plus margins - the error
    > message appears! Erasing the values and activating
    > the checkbox "like detail area" (or similar) solves the
    > problem.
    >
    > Best regards!
    > Ernst

    , Mar 30, 2014