    Ati 9800pro 256
    P4 2.8 @ 3.1 1gb ddr466
    twin seagate 120 sata raid 0

    dmac, May 31, 2004

  2. dmac

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    That is simply an admin setup key...just try to register online with that
    key and see how far you get. The discs are mass produced by a disc
    replicator...do you honestly believe each disc is unique and has a unique
    key?????
    For clarification...the key in the unattended setup file is a key that will
    allow a network install on a network in which a valid volume license is
    applicable. On a stand alone machine, that number would be invalid when one
    tried to activate via the internet.

    Bobby'

    NoNoBadDog!, May 31, 2004

  3. dmac

    dmac Guest

    the numbers worked on xp pro, server 2003 standard and enterprise. they also
    matched the key that is on the cd case.

    --
    -----------------------
    dmac

    remove 1 to mail
    Ati 9800pro 256
    P4 2.8 @ 3.1 1gb ddr466
    twin seagate 120 sata raid 0

    dmac, May 31, 2004
  4. dmac

    hawk Guest

    I just checked my WinXP Home CD and the Product Key in the
    unattend.txt file is NOT the Product Key on the COA.

    Regards, hawk

    hawk, May 31, 2004
  5. dmac

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    You are, to put it simply, WRONG!

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, May 31, 2004
  6. dmac

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    Are you trying to tell the world that every Windows disk is unique? That a
    unique key is embedded on each and every disk? If you believe that, then I
    would like to talk to you offline about a bridge that I have for sale...

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, May 31, 2004
  7. You need to look again;
    The CDs are not unique, however the Product Keys are.
    A quick check here proved what was already known.

    However there may be adifference if you have burned CDs or possible
    Volume License CDs.
    But that is not the case for retail CDs.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], May 31, 2004
  8. dmac

    dmac Guest

    I am just saying what's on my disks. maybe because that were dell oem disks
    that made a difference (xp home and pro) but I don't do.
    so you are saying every xp disk uses the same key?

    --
    -----------------------

    dmac, May 31, 2004
  9. dmac

    dmac Guest

    and no matter what, if you lose the case that # would work to allow install
    then you can call and activate.
    like I said, the #'s worked for me on activation 5 times w/o calling or a
    license.

    --
    -----------------------

    dmac, May 31, 2004
  10. dmac

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    No, I am NOT saying every XP disk uses the same key. YOU are saying that
    every XP disc uses the same key. Did you read my post about the unattended
    net install option? The key on the disk and the key on the COA and sticker
    DO NOT match. The number in the text file is a number that will allow an
    unattended net install using volume licensing. It WILL NOT, and again I say
    it WILL NOT serve as a key for a stand alone activation. You are wrong.
    You cannot convince anyone otherwise, except perhaps yourself. I guess you
    are just not man enough to admit that you were wrong.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, May 31, 2004
  11. dmac

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    You are WRONG. Just be man enough to admit that you made a mistake.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, May 31, 2004
  12. dmac

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    In my possession, I have 2 Full version WinXP, 2 OEM version XP, 2 Full
    version WinMe, 1 Full version Server 2003, 2 Full version Win98, Two upgrade
    version of Win98, and one OEM version of Win98. None of the keys in the txt
    file matched the key that attached to the outside of the disc (no surprise
    there).

    When I get into work, I will verify with the discs that I have there, but
    the outcome is certain...The keys in the txt file will not match what is
    either attached to the packaging, nor will it match the keys that were in
    the volume licenses.

    No further input from you is required. As you are wrong, and seemingly
    unable to admit that you made a mistake, all future posts from you will be
    ignored by me.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, May 31, 2004
  13. The full story comes out.
    The little detail of OEM is the most important fact you overlooked.
    OEM are not retail and the OEMs generally do not require activation.
    Dell do not require activation.
    Now everything is clear with the OEM revelation.

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], May 31, 2004
  14. dmac

    dmac Guest

    mine needed activation after reinstall.
    no matter, my # on cases matched txt file and allowed me to activate both xp
    and server os yesterday when I was experimenting with home networking
    setups.
    if thats not the same with everyone oh well.
    thought I was providing some help for someone that loses cd case and # to
    allow then to at least install and call to activate.
    didn't know it was going to drive someone into an apoplectic fit and allow
    them to show off their self effacing and infantile personality.
    I'm done with it.

    --
    -----------------------
    dmac

    remove 1 to mail
    Ati 9800pro 256
    P4 2.8 @ 3.1 1gb ddr466
    twin seagate 120 sata raid 0

    dmac, May 31, 2004
  15. Next time you post something that seems so unusual, you would be
    better off to post all the facts.
    Simply leaving the major detail of OEM makes all the difference in
    this case.

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], May 31, 2004
  16. dmac

    dmac Guest

    well the server 2003 and windows me were not oem, they were purchased
    separately.

    --
    -----------------------

    dmac, May 31, 2004
  17. They may not be OEM, but they are also not retail if the Product Key
    matches the sticker on the package.

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], May 31, 2004
  18. dmac

    dmac Guest

    server 2003 bought from microsoft and windows me full version bought at best
    buy.

    --
    -----------------------

    dmac, May 31, 2004
  19. Best Buy and others sell OEM as well as retail.
    Buying from a retail store does not guarantee retail.
    There are product from Microsoft that are neither retail or OEM.
    Receiving a products from Microsoft does not assure retail.

    If your is retail, the Product Key is not on the CD.
    The CDs are not unique for retail.
    That is why any identical CD will work if your retail is lost, damaged
    etc.
    If the CD was unique, this would not work...it works.

    Either you are mistaken or these products are OEM, Volume License or
    another of the possible non retail options.

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], May 31, 2004
  20. dmac

    hawk Guest

    You are full of shit!! OEMs do require activation. What bridge did you
    crawl out from under?

    hawk, Jun 1, 2004