    be something in the hardware :D

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Jul 8, 2003

  2. Skybuck Flying

    Edward Guest

    just check the BIOS date. It's not accurate but it's close enough.

    "Skybuck Flying" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > This might seem a strange question:
    >
    > How to determine the age of a computer ?
    >
    > It would be cool if a programmer could find out how old a computer is. (

    For
    > example processor age, or motherboard age )
    >
    > Down to a few seconds :)
    >
    > It should not be possible for software/users to change the age... it

    should

    Edward, Jul 8, 2003

  3. "Edward" <> wrote in message
    > just check the BIOS date. It's not accurate but it's close enough.

    The bios date can be changed ?! :D

    Skybuck Flying, Jul 8, 2003
  4. Skybuck Flying

    Edward Guest

    I meant the date of the bios itself. Not the time the bios keeps.

    Edward, Jul 8, 2003
  5. Skybuck Flying

    ChrisJ9876 Guest

    >From: "Edward"

    >I meant the date of the bios itself. Not the time the bios keeps.

    If the BIOS is updated, the date of the BIOS changes.

    ChrisJ9876, Jul 8, 2003
  6. Skybuck Flying

    Alien Zord Guest

    "Edward" <> wrote in message
    > just check the BIOS date. It's not accurate but it's close enough.

    Its very easy to use a hex editor to change the text strings in a
    BIOS.bin file then flash it and hey presto, you have a POST screen
    saying the BIOS is of your own creation, showing your desired dates and
    logos. I've done it, just for fun.

    Alien Zord, Jul 8, 2003
  7. Skybuck Flying

    db Guest

    Skybuck Flying wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > This might seem a strange question:
    >
    > How to determine the age of a computer ?
    >
    > It would be cool if a programmer could find out how old a computer
    > is. ( For example processor age, or motherboard age )
    >
    > Down to a few seconds :)
    >
    > It should not be possible for software/users to change the age... it
    > should be something in the hardware :D
    >
    > Bye,
    > Skybuck.

    First tell me what a computer is.
    The hardware, os, software, etc .. all of which have different ages..
    therefore a computer cannot have a definitive age..just an era.
    Take your cpu type and look up a database of cpus and find the age of that
    particular chip (stepping etc) thats probs the closes tyou'll get.. and
    even that isn't foolproof (chage cpu for example)

    db, Jul 8, 2003
  8. Skybuck Flying

    V W Wall Guest

    Alien Zord wrote:

    > "Edward" <> wrote in message
    > > just check the BIOS date. It's not accurate but it's close enough.
    > >

    > Its very easy to use a hex editor to change the text strings in a
    > BIOS.bin file then flash it and hey presto, you have a POST screen
    > saying the BIOS is of your own creation, showing your desired dates and
    > logos. I've done it, just for fun.

    I'll bet you've also changed the error message you get when leaving
    a non-system disk in the drive! I did. Just for fun.

    Virg Wall
    --
    A foolish consistency is the
    hobgoblin of little minds,........

    V W Wall, Jul 8, 2003
  9. Skybuck Flying

    Lane Lewis Guest

    why

    Lane Lewis, Jul 8, 2003
  10. Skybuck Flying

    db Guest

    Alien Zord wrote:

    > Out of curiosity, what does your error message say?

    Yo you dumb F£*$, you put the wrong disk in you idiot..hahaha you fool!!!
    Get your act together ya eigit.

    db, Jul 8, 2003
  11. Skybuck Flying

    V W Wall Guest

    Alien Zord wrote:

    > "V W Wall" <> wrote in message
    > > Alien Zord wrote:
    > > >
    > > > "Edward" <> wrote in message
    > > > >

    > > > Its very easy to use a hex editor to change the text strings in a
    > > > BIOS.bin file then flash it and hey presto, you have a POST screen
    > > > saying the BIOS is of your own creation, showing your desired dates

    > and
    > > > logos. I've done it, just for fun.

    > > I'll bet you've also changed the error message you get when leaving
    > > a non-system disk in the drive! I did. Just for fun.
    > >

    > Out of curiosity, what does your error message say?

    It's been so long ago, I don't really remember, but it started with:
    "You stupid jerk........"

    Virg Wall

    V W Wall, Jul 8, 2003
  12. Skybuck Flying

    db Guest

    V W Wall wrote:
    > db wrote:
    >>
    >> Alien Zord wrote:
    >>
    >>> Out of curiosity, what does your error message say?

    >> Yo you dumb F£*$, you put the wrong disk in you idiot..hahaha you
    >> fool!!! Get your act together ya eigit.

    > Wow! You must be a real idiot to think you could put that in place of
    > the original message!!!
    >
    > I won't bother telling you why! No eigits need apply. ;-(
    >
    > Virg Wall

    Are just really stupid?

    db, Jul 8, 2003
  13. Skybuck Flying

    db Guest

    philo wrote:

    > saw it in half and count the rings ?

    LMAO

    db, Jul 8, 2003
  14. "Edward" <> wrote in message
    > I meant the date of the bios itself. Not the time the bios keeps.

    Hmm interesting... I never heard of such a thing.

    Skybuck Flying, Jul 9, 2003
  15. Skybuck Flying

    Ed Guy Guest

    See http://www.anderbergfamily.net/ant/biosdate/

    --
    Ed Guy P.Eng,CDP,MIEE
    Information Technology Consultant

    Ed Guy, Jul 9, 2003
  16. Skybuck Flying

    Newt Guest

    "db" <> wrote in message
    > philo wrote:
    >
    > > saw it in half and count the rings ?

    > LMAO

    I have done exactly this, only just a bit on one corner so as not to ruin
    the mobo.
    I counted the rings and hey
    presto.....................................................................

    It
    was.........................................................................

    knackered!

    Newt, Jul 9, 2003
  17. Skybuck Flying

    gswork Guest

    "Skybuck Flying" <> wrote in message news:<been30$pof$1.nb.home.nl>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > This might seem a strange question:
    >
    > How to determine the age of a computer ?
    >
    > It would be cool if a programmer could find out how old a computer is. ( For
    > example processor age, or motherboard age )
    >
    > Down to a few seconds :)
    >
    > It should not be possible for software/users to change the age... it should
    > be something in the hardware :D
    >
    > Bye,
    > Skybuck.

    It's difficult to define the age of a computer, especially when parts
    have been changed. You could go for the bios date and hope it's not
    been updated.

    You could, more adventurously, consider fetching 'key indicators' such
    as bios date but also hdd size, ram size & type, video/sound chip and
    various other hardware data and creating an 'equivalent age'.

    So a BIOS date of 1998 but with a more recent 9gb HDD and 64mb RAM,
    yet with a 1996 Matrox video card may indicate an 'equivalent age' of
    'June 1998' depending on how you weigh the various factors.

    It'd be a bit of fun rather than a seriously useful tool, but might
    yield some hints (like - you could use a new video card) in the way
    Sisoft Sandra does.

    To do this in Delphi i'd suggest using some of the Win32 API calls
    that allow for the inspection of hardware and carefully considering a
    measurement scheme and weighing scheme to arrive at a realistic date.

    Have fun!

    gswork, Jul 9, 2003
  18. Skybuck Flying

    Ed Guy Guest

    Skybuck Flying wrote:

    > Just out of curiosity...
    >
    > Is there a windows 32 api function to get the bios date ?
    >
    > Using asm is scary... :)

    Use the C snippet.

    Ed Guy, Jul 10, 2003