how to create blank empty square cell graph template

Discussion in 'Microsoft Excel New Users' started by HIOX8, Feb 19, 2009.

  1. HIOX8

    HIOX8 Guest

    I need a simple way to create an empty cell graph with 75 columns with each
    column .1 inch wide and 100 rows with each row .1 inch high. This implies
    margins of .5 inches all around on an 8.5" x 11" paper. I have found a
    possible way to do this in Microsoft excel 2007 by setting each column
    individually to .1" width (75 times) and then each row to .1" height (100
    times) but I always seem to end up with a few rows visibly too wide or too
    high, and God knows how many more might be imperceptibly off by .01 inch in
    either height or width or both. In Microsoft works, I can create a simple
    template, but I have not found a way to make any cell smaller than one
    quarter of an inch square. Whenever I search, I never find any downloadable
    simple instruction that does not involve squaring data when I mention
    geometrically square cells, or "non-empty" whenever i search for empty
    cells. Whenever I search to create a template I find out how to open and save
    a workbook that I do not have because i have not successfully created the one
    i need to open and save. Forgive me for being such a dummy. I am something
    more of a reactor than a creator. Please note that a square is a rectangle
    with all four sides the same length. A rectangle is a four sided figure with
    every corner at right angles. All right angles are equal. I am not asking to
    build a baseball field.

    HIOX8, Feb 19, 2009

  2. "in Microsoft excel 2007 by setting each column individually to .1" width
    (75 times)"
    Why not select 75 columns (the column headers A thru BW) and set the width
    all at once
    How do you get 0.1" when Excel uses pixels?

    But why use Excel. I got what you wanted with in 3 minutes using a graph
    paper printing software I have had for years. Google "graph paper printer"
    and you will get 0.1M hits -- many to free software

    best wishes
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    Microsoft Excel MVP

    Bernard Liengme, Feb 19, 2009

  3. HIOX8

    Luke M Guest

    This may not be applicable in XL 2007, but here's what I was able to find.

    According to Help file, row height is measured in points, with each point =
    1/72".
    Thus, 0.1" equals 7.2 points. However, since XL is actually limited by pixel
    size, 9 pixels equals 6.75 points, and 10 pixels equsl 7.5 points. Thus, the
    problem is already skewed.

    Assuming we're content to use 6.75 points (0.09375"), you then take note of
    the 9 pixel count, and adjust column width. Width is measured by
    characterlimit of default font (how nice of Microsoft to be inconsistent!) It
    works out that 9 pixels = a width of 0.75 when using a default font of 10.

    Since it sounds like your final outcome is to print, we'll go ahead and
    adjust all rows/columns. Select entire spreadh sheet, and set row and column
    widths (only need to do this once, not once for every row/column). Now, give
    borders to the area you actually want (your 75x100).

    Again, not sure if this applies to XL 2007, I did this in XL2003. Best of
    luck!
    --
    Best Regards,

    Luke M

    Luke M, Feb 19, 2009
  4. HIOX8

    Gord Dibben Guest

    Maybe this code from Ole Erlandson can help?

    Set your rows and columns to mm(2.54 is 1/10th inch.)

    You will have to play with print settings and zoom to try to fit all on one
    page as you wish.

    Sub SetColumnWidthMM(ColNo As Long, mmWidth As Integer)
    ' changes the column width to mmWidth
    Dim w As Single
    If ColNo < 1 Or ColNo > 255 Then Exit Sub
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    w = Application.CentimetersToPoints(mmWidth / 10)
    While Columns(ColNo + 1).Left - Columns(ColNo).Left - 0.1 > w
    Columns(ColNo).ColumnWidth = Columns(ColNo).ColumnWidth - 0.1
    Wend
    While Columns(ColNo + 1).Left - Columns(ColNo).Left + 0.1 < w
    Columns(ColNo).ColumnWidth = Columns(ColNo).ColumnWidth + 0.1
    Wend
    End Sub

    Sub SetRowHeightMM(RowNo As Long, mmHeight As Integer)
    ' changes the row height to mmHeight
    If RowNo < 1 Or RowNo > 65536 Then Exit Sub
    Rows(RowNo).RowHeight = Application.CentimetersToPoints(mmHeight / 10)
    End Sub

    Sub ChangeWidthAndHeight()
    Dim w As Long
    Dim r As Long