How to copy medical CD to harddrive

micky

I am very confused.

I want to ASAP and before I consult with the surgeon send my brother, an
MD radiologist, a copy of the nuclear scan I had last week. It's on a
CD.

My brother is not too handy with computers. He has Win8. I have
winXP-SP3.

1) I have the idea that it's not only smaller but will be easier for him
to use if I zip all the files, because when he unzips them they will be
in the right heirarchy. Does that sound right?

Neither WE nor PD6 had zipping the files from the CD as an option so I
copied the whole directory to the D: drive. However, even before
zipping them I tried to display the scan image from the D: drive.

THE PROBLEM is that once everything is copied to D:\parathyroid-scany
and I click on Start.exe (which works on the CD) I get the message:
"Retrieving requested studies" and then

"Study loadling problem
Cannot load study. Study files are corrupted"

How can I solve this problem, OR, how can I get the images to my brother
before my Tuesday appointment with the doctor?

a) Is there someplace else I can put the copy-to directory to make this
work better; OR some way I can zip straight from the CD. (I'm using the
zip built in to PowerDesk.)?

b) Can I attach the CD files to the email without zipping, I suppose I
can do that, and I could use Team Viewer to rebuild the directory
structure on my brother's computer, but it seems so fussy, I won't be
able to make it work. (I don't have webspace to store them. I've
never done that.)

Thanks

Paul

micky said:
[...]

Do you have any CD/DVD burning software ?

Those programs have options to convert a CD to an ISO9660 file (.iso).

An example would be Imgburn 2.5.0.0 (last adware free version).
If you don't already have a copy of Nero around, you
could use that.

http://www.oldversion.com/windows/download/imgburn-2-5-0-0

2.5.0.0_SetupImgBurn_2.5.0.0.exe 2,169,915 bytes Jul 26, 2009
CRC32: 39CD6FC6
MD5: F3791CFACDAC03B9E676E44AA2630243
SHA-1: E07BCC23B495D0A966BAE359EA9E0E3A11888454

Once that is installed, go to the Preferences for the
program, and turn off the Updates function. You don't
want the program pulling in any Adware-infested updates.
Even if they're well-behaved and have tick boxes for
the Adware. Once an author switches to Adware, they
go on my shit-list.

Also, you can turn off audio prompts, as the program
will make noises in the computer speakers, when the
command has completed execution. Turn that off (unless
you really want it on occasion).

Convert the CD to ISO9660. Compress it with 7ZIP or
RAR or your favorite heavy-duty compressor. Send to
your contact. On the receiving end, they will need
the equivalent decompression program (download their
own copy of 7ZIP or RAR thing). Once the ISO9660 is in
hand, they can use their copy of Nero to burn a new CD.
(Convert the ISO file, into a CD. Do *not* just drag
and drop the file onto the CD or something. It really
needs to be converted back into a CD by the burner
program. You need a burner program.)

Voila... Virtual snail mail...

Required materials - at least one blank CD at the
destination. A CD-R, CD-RW, or even DVD media can be
used to prepare new media for usage.

The tool set should not complain, if you've gone to
this much trouble to re-produce the environment for it.

*******

A note on compression...

Image formats can already be in a compressed form.
Additional compression may not achieve large improvements.
For example, if you rip a non-commercial DVD with
Imgburn, and try and compress the ISO file, it may
not compress all that well. Video is already
compressed around 100:1, using lossy temporal compression.
This does a much better job than a naive compressor
just "doing bytes".

1) Compress data only once, for best results.
2) Use a tool with "filters" that recognize the content,
and uses the best compression method. For example, 7ZIP has
a filter that recognizes X86 executable code, and reworks
some of the instructions to make the compressed image
smaller.
3) If lossy compression is acceptable (convert fat AVI file
to slim X.265, with some quality loss), that will achieve
a much smaller file than otherwise. I can go from a 130GB
WinTV AVI VCR recording to a 7GB DVD image. I would not be able
to do that with lossless compression. But the quality of
the video will be softer. If I tried to apply 7ZIP to the
7GB DVD ISO9660 file, it probably wouldn't compress all that
much. They invent these fancy video formats, to squeeze as
much entropy from the source material as possible.

HTH,
Paul

micky

Do you have any CD/DVD burning software ?
Yes.

Those programs have options to convert a CD to an ISO9660 file (.iso).

An example would be Imgburn 2.5.0.0 (last adware free version).

Dang. I suppose that means version 2.5.5.0 does have adware. That's
what I've been using.
If you don't already have a copy of Nero around, you
could use that.
http://www.oldversion.com/windows/download/imgburn-2-5-0-0

2.5.0.0_SetupImgBurn_2.5.0.0.exe 2,169,915 bytes Jul 26, 2009
CRC32: 39CD6FC6
MD5: F3791CFACDAC03B9E676E44AA2630243
SHA-1: E07BCC23B495D0A966BAE359EA9E0E3A11888454

Once that is installed,

My brother has Win8. It has built-in image-burning software, right?

(If not, I'll get the imgburn you have above.)
go to the Preferences for the
program, and turn off the Updates function. You don't

I've been saying No, but turning off the question is better.
want the program pulling in any Adware-infested updates.
Even if they're well-behaved and have tick boxes for
the Adware. Once an author switches to Adware, they
go on my shit-list.

Also, you can turn off audio prompts, as the program
will make noises in the computer speakers, when the
command has completed execution. Turn that off (unless
you really want it on occasion).

Convert the CD to ISO9660.

Even before I saw your reply, I tried to save a disk image. It showed
..bin but I usually use .iso so I switched it to .iso. ImgBurn gave
an interesting message,which I have below**, and the first time I just
made the .bin file, which is in two parts. After I read your reply
here, I let it change settings and write the .iso fle. (It says nothing
about 9660, but it ends in .ISO.)
Compress it with 7ZIP or
RAR or your favorite heavy-duty compressor. Send to
your contact. On the receiving end, they will need
the equivalent decompression program (download their
own copy of 7ZIP or RAR thing). Once the ISO9660 is in
hand, they can use their copy of Nero to burn a new CD.
(Convert the ISO file, into a CD. Do *not* just drag
and drop the file onto the CD or something. It really
needs to be converted back into a CD by the burner
program. You need a burner program.)

Too complicated for him, but I can do it for him with TeamViewer, if
he'll buy some blank CDs. They sell them in the drugstore now and even
the supermarket. .
Voila... Virtual snail mail...

Required materials - at least one blank CD at the
destination. A CD-R, CD-RW, or even DVD media can be
used to prepare new media for usage.

I wondered about DVD's. Does it work in the other direction too? If
you had a DVD that was short enough to fit, could you burn that to a CD?
The tool set should not complain, if you've gone to
this much trouble to re-produce the environment for it.

I tried a couple other things, just small changes, to view the scan from
my HDD and they didn't work either.
*******

A note on compression...

Image formats can already be in a compressed form.
Additional compression may not achieve large improvements.
For example, if you rip a non-commercial DVD with
Imgburn, and try and compress the ISO file, it may
not compress all that well. Video is already
compressed around 100:1, using lossy temporal compression.
This does a much better job than a naive compressor
just "doing bytes".

1) Compress data only once, for best results.
2) Use a tool with "filters" that recognize the content,
and uses the best compression method. For example, 7ZIP has
a filter that recognizes X86 executable code, and reworks
some of the instructions to make the compressed image
smaller.

I will get that now
3) If lossy compression is acceptable (convert fat AVI file
to slim X.265, with some quality loss), that will achieve
a much smaller file than otherwise. I can go from a 130GB
WinTV AVI VCR recording to a 7GB DVD image. I would not be able
to do that with lossless compression. But the quality of
the video will be softer.

When I've sat over my brother's shoulder while he reads X-rays, MRI's,
Cat-scans, I can never see a thing, but he goes on dictating into the
machine for several minutes.
If I tried to apply 7ZIP to the
7GB DVD ISO9660 file, it probably wouldn't compress all that
much. They invent these fancy video formats, to squeeze as
much entropy from the source material as possible.

HTH,
Paul

It helps very much. Thanks a lot, Mike

The message when I tried ISO:
**As Yoda would say, "Hmmm. Failed in your attempt to outsmart me."

ISO is not an appropriate container format for the current disk but
today is your lucky day and I will make the necessary adjustments
(convert Mode2/Form1 to Mode1) if you want me too.

If you don't the file will be created with a .bin extension instead."

Paul

micky said:
The message when I tried ISO:
**As Yoda would say, "Hmmm. Failed in your attempt to outsmart me."

ISO is not an appropriate container format for the current disk but
today is your lucky day and I will make the necessary adjustments
(convert Mode2/Form1 to Mode1) if you want me too.

If you don't the file will be created with a .bin extension instead."

I have no idea what this means. It sounds like a raw format of some sort.

http://www.isobuster.com/help/what_is_mode_2_form_1_on_cd

"What is Mode 2 Form 1 (M2F1) on CD

Mode 2 Form 1 is a data mode designed to fit in the Mode2 tracks.
A Track in a certain mode (Audio, M1, M2) HAS to contain block
in that same mode. By changing the form, M2 tracks can contain
sectors with Mode 2, Mode 2 Form 1 and Mode 2 Form 2.

If extracted raw you end up with 2352 bytes per block.
2048 (2K) bytes are user data (the data you actually find
in the files). The remainder of the data contains : sync bytes,
header bytes, subheader bytes and third layer error correction
bytes (EDC and ECC).

This mode is the most popular Data block mode used by
write applications. Stamped data CDs are largely still Mode 1.
"

So I leave that site, knowing as little as when I started.

This is much more reasonable. You'll be able to follow this.
And at least see what the difference is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-ROM

It looks like translation from Mode 2 Form 1 to Mode 1
should be a slam-dunk. Even the same sector addresses and so on.

The only question in my mind would be, what tool made
CDROM-XA in the first place ? Maybe the hospital diagnostic
instrument was programmed by space aliens ? Space aliens like
to make trivial changes to formats, to confuse the humans.

Paul

micky

[...]

I'll read it tomorrow. Thanks.
It looks like translation from Mode 2 Form 1 to Mode 1
should be a slam-dunk. Even the same sector addresses and so on.

The only question in my mind would be, what tool made
CDROM-XA in the first place ? Maybe the hospital diagnostic
instrument was programmed by space aliens ?Space aliens like
to make trivial changes to formats, to confuse the humans.

Maybe. I found later that the software allowed me to save as .jpg
files 4 series of 3 images each, but none looked anywhere near as
informative as the one that shows up almost full screen when starting
the software. I think that one might be enhanced in some way.

I remember when you had to lie or finagle to get any test results from
a doctor or lab. Now they offer me an appointment summary at the end
of my appointment. If they did any tests, I take it. And the
radiology form has a place to check if you want the CD, the report, or
both. They give one CD for free and more for $10 or 15 each.

What's interesting is that the calcium, parathyroid hormone, and bone
density tests (the first two done twice) all say I have
hyperparathyroidism**, always caused by a fairly easily removeable
benign tumor or one or more parathyronid glands, but the nuclear
parathyroid test is negative, shows no problem. It was supposed to
show which of the 4 glands had the tumor. I have a feeling the
surgeon will want to cut and look, and I guess even I want that now. I
wonder what my brother, who has been a radiologist for decades, will
say.

OT but the tumor causes the gland to put out PTH, parathyroid hormone,
even when it shouldn't, which steals calcium from the bones and raises
the level of calcium in the blood. Calcium is the only mineral inthe
body that has its own gland to regulate its level.

Paul

micky said:
[...]

Have you worked through the info here,
to guess at the probable cause ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperparathyroidism

Paul

Buffalo

"Mark Perkins" wrote in message
That explains the wacky disjointed set of shotgunned newsgroups.

The last time I got x-rays and test results on a CD, there was a viewer
program that simply displayed a series of very large TIF image files. Every
image viewer understands that format, so I dumped their viewer and just
saved the image files. Have you looked to see if you can do the same? If
so,
it would save you from all of this ISO-copying nonsense. Good luck.

Mark

+1
Well worth a try.
Perhaps even dl and install the free Irfanview viewer program. (
http://www.irfanview.com/ )

micky

That explains the wacky disjointed set of shotgunned newsgroups.

Yes, you're right.

In fact I was already to post when I realized one directory and 3 files
were not really on the CD like I thought they were, so I took out the
two paragraphs related to that, and will start another thread
eventually. But I didn't think to take out the newsgroup(s) I added
because of them.
The last time I got x-rays and test results on a CD, there was a viewer
program that simply displayed a series of very large TIF image files. Every
image viewer understands that format, so I dumped their viewer and just
saved the image files. Have you looked to see if you can do the same? If so,

Yeah, there is nothing like that. The biggest file in the STUDY
directory (as opposed to the APPS directort) is 500K but the file name
is 6629000.std.ipd . (For lack of other ideas, I copied it to the
HDD, removed .ipd and opened it, but Open Office thinks its a text file
and it just shows as garbage.) I googled open ipd file extension
but haven't had time to work on that yet.

The next biggest file is 25K and ends in .std , which Open Office
volunteered to display. It's a text file that has a list of every time
I 've been to any branch of this radiology clinic, who referred me, etc.
with a lot of fields blank and no results, even when results were in
text form.

Almost all the rest are under 2K and the five or six which aren't have
extensions like .han .

The 12 .jpg files I referred to in another post are nowhere to be found
in the file directory. They must be generated on the fly, From t he
500K file?

THERE IS A 3MEG HELP FILE, but I figured there was a good chance my
brother has already used this software. It discusses many ways to
manipulate the images but nothing about saving or exporting them.

it would save you from all of this ISO-copying nonsense. Good luck.

Mark

Thanks.

P.S. Sixteen files are .ini files. This is the first part of a typical
one:

; MIV configuration file
;

[GENERAL]
Name=CDFilm-NM
0=Preset W&indow
1=3D Anchors
2=Change Source Series
3=Apply Hanging Protocol
4=New
5=Open
6=Format

[menu_root]
0=SUBMENU Layout
1=SUBMENU Zoom
2=SUBMENU Page Format
3=FLIP FLIP
4=MIRROR MIRROR
5=ROTATE ROTATE
6=SHARPEN Sharpen
7=CINE CINE
8=SUBMENU Help
9=COMMENTS Reports-Notes

micky

Have you worked through the info here,
to guess at the probable cause ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperparathyroidism

Yes, I have. Thanks for the thought.

I've read a lot of stuff. Apparently the most likely thing is that
there is a tumor but the scan doesn't show it**. That's why I've tried
to vary the contrast on the display, and the help file seems to say how
to do that. **Which I suppose means its small and hasn't done much
damage yet. I hate having a girlie disease, osteoporosis. But for men
with a parathyroid tumor, it's more reversible than for women with
another cause for it.

The cursor is supposed to change its appearance when I click on
half-white, half-black circle, but it doesn't. Oh, the cursor doesn't
change shape until it's back over the image, so it's working. But
changing the contrast doesn't show anything new.

It's not like I'm smarter than the radiologist with 30 years experience.
If he says there's nothing there, there's probably nothing there. But,
because of two medical occasions where my brother was right and the
other doctors weren't, my brother is the doctor I trust most in the
world, so I want him to see it.

micky

Paul

micky said:
[...]

Is the alternative, a kidney problem ?

Or the usage of a medication or food substance that
mimics the symptoms ?

I think anyone can get osteoporosis. It doesn't
pick favorites.

Paul

Paul

micky said:
Yeah, there is nothing like that. The biggest file in the STUDY
directory (as opposed to the APPS directort) is 500K but the file name
is 6629000.std.ipd .

http://www.mypacs.net/cases/61836452.html

( sample file - http://www.mypacs.net/repos/mpv3_repo/viz/other/61840350.ipd )

I took a look at that example. It consists of:

1) Textual identifiers on sector boundaries.
2) Eventually in that example file, I start seeing 4CC codes.

?PNG IHDR IDAT IEND

So that's a PNG file embedded in a form of archive. I would probably
find as many ?PNG examples in there, as I would find textual identifiers
on sector boundaries at the beginning of the file.

Use your hex editor and walk through the file.
You'll figure it out.

When you start to see some 4CC codes, you'll need to find
a wiki article on the file format, so you can snip out a piece
that corresponds to something you can open in an image editor.

Paul

micky

Is the alternative, a kidney problem ?

Or the usage of a medication or food substance that
mimics the symptoms ?

I think anyone can get osteoporosis. It doesn't
pick favorites.

Yeah, but it's at least 3 to 1 females. That makes it a girlie disease
afaic. ;-)

I'll let you know after Wednesday what the surgeon says. They don't
merely rely on the referring physcian to be correct. He wants to see
the images and reports too. Come to think of it, the endocrinologist
must have had the test results when her office staff called me to tell
me to go ahead with the surgeon.

BTW, I used imgburn and the .iso I made yesterday to make two new CDs
and the new ones work fine.

micky

Wow. I'm amazed that you found this. I'm also amazed that someone
posted it
I took a look at that example. It consists of:

1) Textual identifiers on sector boundaries.
2) Eventually in that example file, I start seeing 4CC codes.

?PNG IHDR IDAT IEND

So that's a PNG file embedded in a form of archive. I would probably
find as many ?PNG examples in there, as I would find textual identifiers
on sector boundaries at the beginning of the file.

Use your hex editor and walk through the file.
You'll figure it out.

When you start to see some 4CC codes, you'll need to find
a wiki article on the file format, so you can snip out a piece
that corresponds to something you can open in an image editor.

That's reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask about for a long
time, a better image editor, or viewer.

Maybe this doesn't apply here, but after I copy to the clipboard, I've
been using Eudora to store images. I just selected, copied, and pasted
a couple images from the html page above, and it worked fine. But it
doesn't seem like why Eudora was written, and there's no easy way to
save images from there. They just form one little portion of
outbox.mbx.

There is probably something in Word or Open Office that would also do
that, but I think of those as large programs that would use up my RAM

Is there a simple image viewer or editor I could be using for copying
images from webpages, viewing, and storing them?

Paul

micky said:
Wow. I'm amazed that you found this. I'm also amazed that someone
posted it

That's reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask about for a long
time, a better image editor, or viewer.

Maybe this doesn't apply here, but after I copy to the clipboard, I've
been using Eudora to store images. I just selected, copied, and pasted
a couple images from the html page above, and it worked fine. But it
doesn't seem like why Eudora was written, and there's no easy way to
save images from there. They just form one little portion of
outbox.mbx.

There is probably something in Word or Open Office that would also do
that, but I think of those as large programs that would use up my RAM

Is there a simple image viewer or editor I could be using for copying
images from webpages, viewing, and storing them?

Well sometimes, you can right-click an image, and select "Save As" and
save it. And the download dialog will have a record of the dialog.

In Firefox, you can go to the file menu, and Save as "Entire Web Page"
or similar. You end up with a single HTML file, plus a similarly
named folder, and the folder could end up containing all the image
files on display. The folder can even contain the CSS (style sheet)
with the font information used to code up the page, which is handy if
you're debugging a web page font format problem.

There are also tools of the "WebWhacker" persuasion, which hierarchically
capture a portion of a web site. That's like the Firefox Save As, but
on steroids. You have to be a little careful with tools like that,
as sometimes they download way too many bytes of (irrelevant) stuff.

So there's already a wealth of options just for the capture phase.

Tools like Irfanview can help with the picture viewing aspect,
but I don't know if Irfanview would open a web page. That's
what web browsers are for.

I didn't have any tool for .ipd, so I used my hex editor.
Just to see what was in there.

Paul

micky

[...]

Okay. Thanks.

micky

I didn't have any tool for .ipd, so I used my hex editor.
Just to see what was in there.

Paul

I looked up .ipd files and the only thing I found on the first few hits
was that they're used by Blackberries!!

Does ipd stand for ipod?

Paul

micky said:
I looked up .ipd files and the only thing I found on the first few hits
was that they're used by Blackberries!!

Does ipd stand for ipod?

I'm not finding a reference to .ipd in here.

http://www.dclunie.com/medical-image-faq/html/index.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dicom

A guess is, the formats on the CD are "derived" and intended
to work with the included viewer. But that's purely a guess,
because no material I've seen so far talks about file extensions
or file formats.

The medical community is good at explaining things in
excruciating detail, about things no one cares about.
But few seem to be able to view their world from the
outside, and work with new entrants.

Paul