    am a novice and nothing should be assumed. I need to check
    the Plug & Play - I have no sound and If tried every thing
    else, (vol, mute speaker connection.etc)

    Karen, Jun 22, 2004

  2. Karen

    Modelingfrog Guest

    your bios has nothing to do with the OS (not exactly that is) when you
    power on your computer there should be a buch of post test being made.
    during that brief second or so you could see the bios date and version. or
    you could go to "system information" from the "system tools" located in
    "accessories" of the "all programs" menu.

    Modelingfrog, Jun 22, 2004

  3. In news:1f89a01c4587e$42ff07b0$,
    Karen <> typed:

    > How do I check the BIOS for Windows XP Pro?

    You don't check the BIOS *for* Windows XP. The BIOS is *for* the
    computer, not the operating system it's running.

    How to get into your BIOS depends, not on Windows, but on what
    motherboard/BIOS you have. As a matter of fact, you have to
    access the BIOS before Windows even starts to boot. One common
    way is to press the Del key when you first power on, but that's
    not necessarily right for your computer. Watch the screen
    carefully when you first boot; there's often a message there
    telling you what to do. If not, check your system documentation
    or check with your vendor.

    Also look here:
    http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

    Or just try the Del key. There's a good chance that's correct for
    you.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Ken Blake, MVP, Jun 22, 2004
  4. Karen

    Harry Ohrn Guest

    The BIOS is not part of Windows XP. It is a chip on your computer's
    motherboard. Different computers have different brands of BIOS. BIOS stands
    for Basic Input Output System. When you first start you computer it runs a
    number of checks and basic system settings. It then runs a number of
    instructions which will eventually boot your computer into the operating
    system. In your case Windows XP. The BIOS should not be mucked around in by
    a novice user as changes made to it can include problems with restarting the
    computer or system stability.Who suggested you check the BIOS to try and
    resolve your sound problem?

    It sounds like you've ruled out some of the basics but when you say you've
    check volume, mute, connections was this only on the speakers themselves or
    did you check the Control Panel->Sounds to see if there was a settings
    problem there? Do you have the sound icon in the systray (looks like a
    little speaker located next to the clock) If the icon is there give it a
    click and you should see a slider pop up. Perhaps that has been slid down or
    muted.

    Or go into Control Panel->Sounds and check the Audio Tab to see if your
    sound card is listed. If it is not listed or something is greyed out then
    you might need to reinstall the drivers for your sound card. These are
    generally found on the CD that came with your sound card or on the
    Motherboard CD that came with the computer.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    Harry Ohrn, Jun 22, 2004
  5. Karen

    Kamal Guest

    S.Sengupta can you please fix your date???

    Kamal, Jun 22, 2004
  6. Greetings --

    The operating system is immaterial. Only you know what
    motherboard and BIOS you have, so only you know the answer to your
    question. ;-}

    In the extremely unlikely event that your PC's manual or the
    motherboard manufacturer's web site don't contain the needed
    information, try one or more of the following:

    How do I access my computer's setup (BIOS)
    http://www.iomega.com/support/documents/2157.html

    Wim's BIOS Page
    http://www.wimsbios.com/

    Accessing Motherboard BIOS