    reload data on the disks?
    Is there some type of utility from Microsoft or EMC which
    would do this? Thanks.

    Dan - Unisys, Jan 5, 2004

  2. "Dan - Unisys" <> wrote in
    news:019d01c3d3b0$34ac5580$:

    > MSCS requires basic disks. Is there a way to convert
    > dynamic disk to basic disk without having to delete and
    > reload data on the disks?
    > Is there some type of utility from Microsoft or EMC which
    > would do this? Thanks.

    There is no automatic method. If the Dynamic disk was first a Basic disk
    then you can use Diskprobe or another disk editor to change partition type
    from 42 to 07. However there is always risk with this process and I would
    always have a backup of the data.

    Leonard Severt

    Windows 2000 Server Setup Team

    Leonard Severt [MSFT], Jan 5, 2004

  3. Make sure the total sectors in the partition table is 1 sector larger than
    the total sectors in the boot sector. Also, you may notice that you have
    only one partition when viewing the disk in Disk Manager but you have
    information on line 01c0 and 01d0 on sector 0.
    If you do only have one partition, change the information on line 01d0 to
    all zeros.
    It would be a good idea to save sector 0 as a file before making any
    changes to the sector.
    If you have two partitions then you must check the total sectors for the
    second partition against the total sectors in the boot sector for the
    second partition.

    If Disk Manager shows more than four partitions, they cannot be converted
    to basic since there is only enough room on sector 0 to define four
    partitions.

    If you need assistance with this utility, you will need to call support.

    Joe Griffin [MS]

    --------------------
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system
    Subject: Re: How to change dynamic disk to basic without losing data
    From: "Leonard Severt [MSFT]" <>
    Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 20:43:26 GMT

    Joe Griffin [MSFT], Jan 6, 2004
  4. Dan - Unisys

    dnns

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hello,

    Can anyone say me how I do it?
    I changed it to 07 from 42 and recovered one partition of two and now I'm trying to recover the second, but don't know how.

    Please, help me with this issue...

    dnns, Mar 26, 2009
  5. Dan - Unisys

    sandywu

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2008
    Messages:
    13
    Likes Received:
    0
    convert dynamic disk to basic disk- fat/ntfs without data loss

    You may use the disk management tool to convert your dynamic disk to the basic one but all the data on the dynamic disk will loss in this way. One of the safest way is to copy al the data on the dynamic disk to make a backup and then convert it with the disk management tool. Here is a guide: www.partition-tool.com/resource/clone-dynamic-disk.htm

    sandywu, Sep 2, 2009
  6. Dan - Unisys

    stxitfk

    Joined: