How to automate local group policy for startup/shutdown scripts

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 Group Policy' started by Scott Felt, Sep 14, 2004.

  1. Scott Felt

    Scott Felt Guest

    My scenario:

    I need to run a program or a script that will implement the startup
    and shutdown scripts functionality found in group policy (acutally, I
    just need to have scripts that will run on system startup and shutdown
    and I assume this is the best way to do that; correct me if there is
    an easier way, please). There is no Active Directory, so this is
    local group policy and it needs to be hands off--in other words,
    bringing up gpedit.msc and pointing and clicking around is not
    feasible.

    Things I have tried:

    I have experiemented with getting one system the way I want and then
    copying over various files in the %windows%\system32\grouppolicy
    directory tree to another system. I have not had much luck doing
    this. By moving over or overwriting the scripts.ini file I was able
    to "see" the script that I wanted to run, but they did not actually
    run at startup or shutdown. (I did have the script in place). I have
    tried moving a registry.pol file over, but I do not really know what
    is in that file, whether it has my changes or how it is "loaded" on
    the new system.

    Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

    Scott Felt

    Scott Felt, Sep 14, 2004

  2. On 14 Sep 2004 13:05:56 -0700, (Scott Felt) wrote:

    >My scenario:
    >
    >I need to run a program or a script that will implement the startup
    >and shutdown scripts functionality found in group policy (acutally, I
    >just need to have scripts that will run on system startup and shutdown
    >and I assume this is the best way to do that; correct me if there is
    >an easier way, please). There is no Active Directory, so this is
    >local group policy and it needs to be hands off--in other words,
    >bringing up gpedit.msc and pointing and clicking around is not
    >feasible.
    >
    >Things I have tried:
    >
    >I have experiemented with getting one system the way I want and then
    >copying over various files in the %windows%\system32\grouppolicy
    >directory tree to another system. I have not had much luck doing
    >this. By moving over or overwriting the scripts.ini file I was able
    >to "see" the script that I wanted to run, but they did not actually
    >run at startup or shutdown. (I did have the script in place). I have
    >tried moving a registry.pol file over, but I do not really know what
    >is in that file, whether it has my changes or how it is "loaded" on
    >the new system.
    >
    >Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    >
    >Scott Felt

    See tip 3612 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com

    Jerold Schulman
    Windows: General MVP
    JSI, Inc.
    http://www.jsiinc.com

    Jerold Schulman, Sep 15, 2004
  3. Scott-
    You're on the right track. You definitely need to copy the script to
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\GroupPolicy\Machine\Scripts\Startup (or refer to it
    elsewhere) and then you need scripts.ini in the Scripts folder. But you also
    need to ensure that the GPT.INI file in the c:\windows\system32\grouppolicy
    folder has a version number that is greater than 0. Take a look at that file
    and, if its zero, increment it by 1.

    --
    Darren Mar-Elia
    MS-MVP-Windows Management