    Word in not using fonts from C:/Winnt/Fonts/?
    Thanks!
    CM

    CM, Aug 13, 2003

  2. CM

    Bert Guest

    CM,

    What you are seeing in C:/Winnt/Fonts/ are all the font
    variations (bold, italic, etc. as well as other types of
    fonts rather than True Type like .fon). Word only
    displays single names for one font group. Your can then
    apply italic, for instance, and Word knows what to do.

    To install fonts or check font installations, go to
    C:/Winnt/Fonts/ and you will notice the menus in the
    active window change. From there you can install new
    fonts, view by similarity, etc.

    Good Luck,
    Bert Fancher

    over 90 fonts, but in
    >Word, there are only 40 fonts. How can I add fonts to

    Word? Does this mean

    Bert, Aug 13, 2003

  3. CM

    CM Guest

    Thanks for the reply!
    One more question:
    If I want to use fonts on other source such as CD ROM, but do not want to
    install it on C:/Winnt/Fonts/, what can I do?
    Thanks!
    CM

    CM, Aug 13, 2003
  4. CM

    Jim Harkins Guest

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 15:55:29 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
    <> wrote:

    >You cannot use fonts that are not in the Windows Fonts folder unless they
    >are printer resident, but if you use printer-resident fonts for which you do
    >not have corresponding display fonts installed, the output may not match
    >what you see on the screen.

    Gotta jump in here, Suzanne - isn't it possible to use an uninstalled
    font as long as you have the file open? You can't save or embed, of
    course, but you can use it in a file and then print the file, or take
    a screen snapshot and save it as a graphic. If you have to install the
    font bnefore using it i a document, then my pooters, from Win95 on up
    have been doing the impossible for years...<g>

    Jim Harkins, Aug 13, 2003
  5. You can specify an uninstalled font, but you cannot display it (Word will
    substitute another font for display), nor can you print it unless it is
    printer-resident. Regardless of what font name is shown in the Font box, the
    font you see on the screen or get from the printer will be one that is
    installed either in the Fonts folder or in the printer, with the exception
    that on Windows 9x systems and earlier, PostScript fonts are not stored in
    the Fonts folder.

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Aug 13, 2003
  6. CM

    Bob S Guest

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 17:12:06 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
    <> wrote:

    >You can specify an uninstalled font, but you cannot display it (Word will
    >substitute another font for display), nor can you print it unless it is
    >printer-resident. Regardless of what font name is shown in the Font box, the
    >font you see on the screen or get from the printer will be one that is
    >installed either in the Fonts folder or in the printer, with the exception
    >that on Windows 9x systems and earlier, PostScript fonts are not stored in
    >the Fonts folder.

    Well actually you *can* display an uninstalled font, though the
    ability is seldom useful except for testing whether you like the looks
    of a particular font in situ. Here's how:

    Close Word, double-click an uninstalled font file (or several if you
    wish) so that it opens the Font Viewer window with its sample text,
    and then start Word. The font will appear in Word's list of fonts and
    will display properly. In fact it will keep displaying even if you now
    close the Font Viewer window(s).

    Of course, the next time you open a document containing this font, you
    either have to install the font, do this monkey business again, or
    accept a substitute font.

    Bob S

    Bob S, Aug 26, 2003
  7. Neat trick!

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Aug 27, 2003
  8. CM

    Guest Guest

    Dear CM

    I have only 19 fonts in my Word 2000. I can't even see the file you mentioned, let alone know how to get the fonts into my program. I have tried finding a download through the Web, but MS seems to be offering nothing. Did you solve your problem? I am looking in particular for "castellar", all the "lucidia"'s and maybe Bell MT, but I can use a host of fonts.

    Looking forward to hearing from you, JH

    Guest, Nov 9, 2003
  9. CM

    Guest Guest

    Hi! I have read all your messages now, and looked at the fonts on my C drive. Sadly I have no additional fonts, only the 19 on Word. I have sent a message to MS suggesting the availability of a download. I hope they reply soon, opr I shall have to get on my pony and go down to the store for a discfull. THanks for listening (reading) - JH

    Guest, Nov 9, 2003
  10. JH wrote:
    > Dear CM
    >
    > I have only 19 fonts in my Word 2000. I can't even see the file you
    > mentioned, let alone know how to get the fonts into my program. I
    > have tried finding a download through the Web, but MS seems to be
    > offering nothing. Did you solve your problem? I am looking in
    > particular for "castellar", all the "lucidia"'s and maybe Bell MT,
    > but I can use a host of fonts.

    Your searches will be helped by spelling font names correctly: Castella,
    Lucida etc.

    Fonts are installed in Windows (hint: see Control Panel Fonts) and then Word
    and other applications may use.

    Mike Williams - Office MVP http://www.mvps.org/faq/

    Please respond in the same thread on this newsgroup - not by email!
    Include details of your application and Windows versions, plus any
    service pack updates. Answers may also be found by reading recent
    posts, checking the FAQs or searching the relevant Google archive at.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?group=microsoft.public

    Mike Williams [MVP], Nov 9, 2003
  11. > Your searches will be helped by spelling font names correctly: Castella,
    > Lucida etc.

    Castellar is correct.

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Nov 9, 2003