How safe is E-Bay/Paypal?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
What a hassle :( Ebay should refund the charges as the sale didn't complete, so you should be level once the transaction is all out the way. :thumb:

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
This has left me £372.00 overdrawn on my business bank account for which I never bothered to set up an overdraft facility.
I dont think this will affect your Bank account Flops, it will just show a deficit in your paypal account as a payment sent to him, they will try to retrieve it back to them via threatining and lawyers and all that crap.

Check your bank statements , i am sure it won`t be in the red

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
A little update.

The £400.00 I transferred from my bank account is now in Paypal, on the day that Paypal said it would reach there.

My bank account is showing around £230.00 of uncleared funds (the cheque) but not shown as overdrawn, and they haven't contacted me about me going overdrawn.

The dispute hasn't been settled yet, it will probably be Monday or Tuesday before the 2nd transfer from my bank is available to refund the would-be buyer.

I was just thinking, actually, if he hadn't started the dispute he could have been paid today instead of next week.

Also, by him starting the dispute, Paypal pay the commission they took back to him so in an odd kind of way this lovely gentleman has saved me about £15.00 in commission fees.

It's a funny old world.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Update

The Spanish would-be buyer has now had a full refund from Paypal.

This means I now have over £400.00 sitting in a Paypal account. I'm still undecided whether to leave it there for online purchases or send it back to my bank account. Will probably transfer the cash back although it takes 13 days to do that (9 working days).

My bank account is no longer overdrawn and my bank didn't mention the temporary unauthorised overdraft, I wonder how much they'll charge me for that?

I have requested a refund of the commission fee (£35.00) for the cancelled sale, E-Bay sent back instructions for me how to do that but it seems I'm dependant on the would-be buyer agreeing that the sale has been cancelled.

Quoted from E-Bay:

Case type: Cancel transaction

Your case is now open. The request to cancel this transaction has been sent to ******.

****** has 7 days to respond to the request. We will notify you when ****** responds.

If the buyer agrees to cancel the transaction, this case will be automatically closed and you will receive a Final Value Fee credit.

If the buyer declines to cancel the transaction, this case will be automatically closed and you will not receive a Final Value Fee credit.

If the buyer does not respond to the request, you can close this case after 7 days to receive a Final Value Fee credit.

So this fella has the option still to mess me up and he may well do that as I don't think he was all that pleased with me ;)

My guess is that he won't respond, as he's not a regular E-Bay-er. Which again, was grounds for me to be suspicious.

And as a footnote I now have 61 postive ratings and 0 negative ratings with E-Bay.

I'm going to try and sell some vinyl records next.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Were you not looking to buy a big TV, seems like a perfect time
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

Glad you got sorted.
happywave.gif

Reaction score
I've just sold a camera on E-Bay to a Spanish customer and the cash is in Paypal.

Basically my question is - is it safe to post the goods?

If Paypal shows the cash in my Paypal account is it secure?

I have started the process of transferring cash from Paypal to my bank account but that will take 3 to 5 working days which is a complete week.

I'd rather ship the goods now though, so should I?

Yes you should always ship the goods when the payment has cleared in your paypal account. eBay used to be a safe place to trade as long as you used common sense but over the years they kept bringing in more and more ridiculous rules and changes which moved power over to buyers which in tern means scamming products is so much easier then it used to be.
eBay is a huge company but I think they have ruined everything with ever increasing fees! Were they not making enough money in the first place???

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Yes you should always ship the goods when the payment has cleared in your paypal account. eBay used to be a safe place to trade as long as you used common sense but over the years they kept bringing in more and more ridiculous rules and changes which moved power over to buyers which in tern means scamming products is so much easier then it used to be.
eBay is a huge company but I think they have ruined everything with ever increasing fees! Were they not making enough money in the first place???

This instance is now over two years old and the conclusion has long been reached.

It all ended well for me apart from one negative feedback from a would-be scammer, now expired.

There are now several alternatives for E-Buyer, E-Bid being just one.

Ask a Question