How much do you think a PC game should be?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I bought Battlefield 2 for £30 yesterday, which seems about the average price for a PC Game. How much do you think is quite reasonable to pay?

If PC Games were £20 I'd be tempted to buy them much more often, and some new games are around this amount already online.

Reaction score
i would say £15

they are definetly OVERPRICED!

i mean how much do u think they cost to make!?

Reaction score
£20 does sound a resonable price and i think its the same theory as music CDs bring the price down and people will buy more.I havent played games for a while but will do when i get new PC thet can handle them to the full potential.I have seen games thet are obviously aimed at the younger end of the market at £40 this is a joke!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'd say £20.00 or £25.00.

A few things:

Games take a long time and a lot of money to develop and produce.
PC Games are generally cheaper than X-Box & PS2.
For the outlay, considering the amount of entertainment you get in hours, they're good value.
Most games reduce in price after 6 months or so anyway, I saw Far Cry in Game for £12.00 recently.
Pricing should depend on the game quality, who wants to pay £30.00 for something riddled with bugs?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
100% agree with those points Floppy, HL2 and FarCry are quite reasonably priced now and they are some of the best games out at the moment (IMO).

I paid £35 for HL2 quite happily as it was a fantastic game with very little in the way of problems or bugs, whereas some other games for the same price don't appear to have half as much effort put into them.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
for a good game that will last a few weeks £25, for a game i'll get bored of and complete within a few days £15

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I bought Battlefield 2 in Game yesterday and it was meant to be £35, despite having been £30 the previous day... however, the manager reduced it for me! What a lovely chap :D

I would definitely buy more games if they were around the £20 mark - at the moment I generally just wait for them to be on offer.

Reaction score
a good game atm at a good price is half life 2 ... its around £20 some places and you get counter strike source with it and deathmatch... these ate pretty good games and kept me playing them untill today! well worth it. Considering that ps2 games are around £30 to £40 and offer half as much enjoyment!

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
im ok with the pricing for the most part. plan on getting Battlefield 2 :) is off line mode good? or is it more worthwhile to good online?

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
I do think that PC and console games are very much overpriced, along with music CD's.
And the prices we are expected to pay today, are the major cause for the growing rate of piracy......
......although the industry spokespersons say thet the rising prices are in part due to the growing levels of piracy!
So, we have a bit of a catch-22 situation!!

My opinion is that if the industry(s) would reduce prices to acceptable levels, then piracy would drop by a staggering amount, as most people would much rather own original copies. A recent study I have done at university into the subject of software piracy, indicates that the main reason for illigitimately obtaining software/games is that the market price is unfairly high! Also, out of those questioned, the general response was that if the sofware were reasonable priced then they would be more inclined to buy original copies all of the time! (I cannot give exact figures and questions here, but if anyone else is interested in my findings, then please contact me via e-mail or PM)

This is what I think is a reasonable price for:-
PC-CD game: up to £20
PC-DVD game: up to £25
Console game: up to £25-30
Music Album CD: up to £10
Admitedly many of these can be obtained for these prices, but if new releases were also to fall into these categories, then piracy figures would reduce overnight.

Reaction score
i agree 100% with all of you.. the only reason why people pirate the stuff is because its so outrageous to make a collection of it because you would loose everything you have buying the crap. people would rather pay 50 dollars a month for cable and download it and make a collection then to pay 20 bucks for 1 movie. the movie theater costs 8.50 a ticket which when i first went to movie its was 1round 5.00 dollars thats why i go to the movies about twice a year its not worth it..

Reaction score
Well here in Thailand. You can buy ORIGINAL games and not copies for 500 -700 baht. Less than a tenner. Copied games are about 120 baht a disc. So you pay per disc. I dont buy copied games anymore. Its just not worth it. Well better to buy the originals.For an extra few hundred baht its makes sense. Especially for the new games and the online advantage. Wont buy anymore copied games. Though GTA San Andreas has yet to come out in Thailand. So i did buy a ....... version. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
£30 is about right - any higher and i wont buy it - games always come down in price so its not to bad.

CD should hower be lower to £ 7 - £10 - as they dont drop in prices that much - some even cost more now than they did years ago.

Reaction score
but cd's ... well the artist and developing team has to get the money some how.. and selling cd's is one of the many ways! i feel cd's are at the right price... and console or pc games ... anything over £30 is stupid!

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I think £30-£40 for a good game like Far Cry, Half Life 2, Battlefield 2 is priced right. But games of low quality should be £20 max.

Good games like Half Life 2 cost millions upoun millions to make, the companys have to make there money back somehow hey. Think of how much the wages of the team behind games like Half Life 2 and Far Cry are! They didnt go through college/university to earn peanuts ;).

Most people think the game only cost as much as a disc, case and paper for the instructions and cover art! Think harder hey.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Reefsmoka said:
I think £30-£40 for a good game like Far Cry, Half Life 2, Battlefield 2 is priced right. But games of low quality should be £20 max.

Good games like Half Life 2 cost millions upoun millions to make, the companys have to make there money back somehow hey. Think of how much the wages of the team behind games like Half Life 2 and Far Cry are! They didnt go through college/university to earn peanuts ;).

Most people think the game only cost as much as a disc, case and paper for the instructions and cover art! Think harder hey.

You and I appear to be thinking along similar lines here ;)

Dunno about forty quid though.

But having said that, I'm just atm playing HL2 again, that is one superb game. One of the few that actually would be worth £40.00.

And I thought to myself when playing Roller Coaster Tycoon Three how much work must have gone into it, I was constantly pleasantly surprised, playing that. Might even purchase me that Water World thingie add-on.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Couldnt agree with you more. I've completed Far Cry around 4-6 times all the way through, and play it quite regulaur, always find something new. Half life 2 has taken probably 200+ hours of my social life away, which has probably saved me money! Drink, taxis and pool dont come free! Games should be even more >..>

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
40 pounds for a game mr Reef??
i think thats a little way too much, even for HL2.

Ask a Question