Windows Vista How long does Vista take to update ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... I'll let you know, I only started it at 5pm ... it's still updating. :)

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Depends on the updates. If you are going from a fresh install and need to install service packs, I would go for around 2 hours at most. Also depends on what software you have installed that also needs updating.

Reaction score
Vista?
Blimey do people still use it?
And even admit to running it in public?:p

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Depends on the updates. If you are going from a fresh install and need to install service packs, I would go for around 2 hours at most. Also depends on what software you have installed that also needs updating.

....and the speed of your connection. ;)

I know when i had to fix the GF';s 'rents laptop, Vista HP, it took what seemed like forever..... And it didn't even have all the office updates either!

muckshifter

Reaction score
... it wasn't a question. :lol:

yep, fresh install, why? 'cos Ubuntu wouldn't install, why? I dunno, it's Linux.

Let me tell you a story ...

I was sitting here, looking at the mess over in the corner, I usually have my back to it, when I had this brain fart. Why don't I see if I can get one of them working again ... one has a dead MB, one a shot PSU and the other, that's older than me. :lol:

So, I pick the better looking case, well the one with the working MB but shot PSU and set to work on my old "system" that was.

I gave it a good vacuum and popped in an Enermax PSU, 350 no less. Spiffin'. That took about 10mins ... cleaning the corner took another hour-n-half, it was a bit mucky. :rolleyes:

I set it up and it boots no bother, nice, err, Suse Linux, err, no thanks, where's this Ubuntu we all gonna need when they bring it out for phones, need that one I think. Download, burn, pop into DVD drive ... and ... wait.

Bugger, bad image ? Try again ... and ... wait. Huh!, another bad image? ang on, where is me ISO burner gone, ah, set lower burn speed, try again ... and ... wait. WTF?

OK, where's me Windows disks ... XP, installing, no bother, ha, Linux, HA!

There we go, easy wonit. What you mean I can't up date it? MS, you taking me for a ride? ah, I know, where's my blister Vista. :eek:

So, at 16:54 I installed Vista, which promptly gos offt to the WWW to fetch its updates ...

... and that is where you come in. :lol:

Now, while it was doing it's thing, I go get a few essentials, like MSE & Chrome and, err ... Ubuntu. :fool:

hmmm, now I think for a minuet, is that really gonna run on this system? :blush:

think I'll go play on the motorway. :wave:

Reaction score
I am rebuilding a laptop for a friend the Hard drive filed and have fitted a new one, and I can confirm it takes for ever to download the Updates from scratch. It should not be surprising as as Vista has been out about 6 years so you have 6 years worth of updates:cry:

muckshifter

Reaction score
I gave up ... now going to try and rebuild my last MB with some older components.

Wondering if the Enermax 350 PSU will cope with it ... will find out today.

Still determined to try this Ubunku ... it did work, I just forgot that if it cannot "see" the graphics card (a nVidia at that) then the logon black screen is a standard feature of Linux ... at least the Microsoft BSOD is informative. :lol:

:user:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Would you believe it....!?

I know when i had to fix the GF';s 'rents laptop, Vista HP, it took what seemed like forever..... And it didn't even have all the office updates either!

Their Vista HP laptops just gone belly up again. Looks like i shall be finding out just how long it takes to update a fresh reinstall this afternoon! :cry::mad:

muckshifter

Reaction score
oh, and the "new" system is up-n-running ... allbeit with a PSU that only has a 20 pin power connector & the MB requiring (would like to have but not gonna get just yet) a 24 pin.

Now I wonder if KentuBuntu has a 64bit OS version. :)

EDIT: try looking in the box that the new NEW PSU came in 'cos you needed 2 six pin graphic connectors ... ah, yes, this will do very nicly, shall I have lunch now, or wait? :lol:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score

Its a Lenovo, I just did a fresh install using the Lenovo Recovery tool. Funny thing is, their whole user profile has gone. No user folders, no profile, nothing....? I have no idea what they did or what happened. I just get to fix it.... :lol:

Any ideas?

muckshifter

Reaction score
ME ? nope, I'm hardware, when I remember I have the kit ... Mr Google has some ideas.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
FWIW Massah Mucks:

My twin girls have laptops with Vista on them, I have now reinstalled Vista on them both three or four times, which averages out at about once every nine months.

I have a strictly legal copy of Vista, paid about 75 quid for it which has now been put out to grass cos it is crap. I still use an XP install, mostly for old games, a 32 Bit video capture device and because I paid for it :p

My last attempt at installing Ubuntu also failed but I had motherboard issues at the time, I'm going to try again, mostly to see how Steam fares in Linux. Steam in Linux? Well, almost, it's restricted to Ubuntu and many Linux users plain do not like Ubuntu, so not sure about that one.

muckshifter

Reaction score
well, now, if I were you and you knew what I now know, I'd set aside 2 days to install Ubuntu. :)

I'll do a "how long does it take to install Ubuntu" thread in the Linux forums ... tomorrow. :lol:

I am posting this comment from within Ubuntu. :dance:

I've thrown my legit copy of Vista in the bin. :nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question