    know it links a document or section from OneNote. But I don't know see the
    linked notes icon in Word or in One Note? So how does one use this linked
    notes feature?

    KWBeta 2010, Nov 30, 2009

  2. KWBeta 2010

    Beth Melton Guest

    Linked notes will link back to the source file, and the location, when you
    took the note. It's pretty cool, actually to have a note filled with
    hyperlinks back to where you were in Word, PowerPoint, or the Internet
    Explorer.

    To see how it works, use the following steps:
    - In Word, open a previously saved file that contains multiple pages and
    navigate to another page.
    - On the Review tab, click the Linked Notes icon.
    - You'll be asked where you want to store your notes and OneNote will dock
    itself on the side of your Desktop.
    - In the docked OneNote pane, add a note.
    - Close the Word document and hover your mouse over the note you just took.
    Click the Word icon next to it.

    Result: The Word document will open and navigate to where you were when you
    took the note.

    Try the same in a PowerPoint file or on a Web page. If you close the OneNote
    pane, in IE you'll find the Linked Notes option under the Tools menu.

    If you don't see the Linked Notes button on the Review tab:
    - Click the File tab to open Backstage view and click Options.
    - In the Options dialog box, click Add-ins.
    - At the bottom, under Manage, select COM Add-ins (if necessary) and then
    click Go.
    - Select "OneNote Linked Notes add-in"

    ~Beth Melton
    Microsoft Office MVP