How do you make pictures smaller? i.e. less pixels?

Reaction score
Smaller is good

If you use windows really big stuff is usually a BMP, ( just a windows type file for pictures)
so
open the picture so you can see it
and then go to File 'Save as' change file type to JPG and give it different name,
if you use same name it will copy over your picture and this could be trouble.

You need to know what you or someone else will use the file for.

if you need more help go here
http://www.xs4all.nl/~dassel/help.html
Q: How can I download the images?
Q: How can Mac-users download the images?
Q: Can a AOL-user download the images?
Q: How come the images I downloaded are so small/ blurry?
Q: Do I really need to convert the image to a bmp file?
Q: How can I convert an image to a bmp file and resize it?
Q: What size should I convert the image to?
Q: Where on my hard disk should I put the bmp file?
Q: Why should I want to manage my wallpaper files?
Q: What if I 'm still puzzled???

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
Hey Tango,
there are various tools around (free, limited use, and downright expensive) for resizing pics.
All of the good paint packages such as Photoshop CS2, Paint Shop Pro, the GIMP2 etc will do it for you.
If you google for image resizer there are also many free trials.
I just downloaded one called Visualizer Photo Resize, which I wanted for batch compressing images but will also resize pixels for you, although the interface can appear a little daunting, you can get that from here http://www.freeimagebrowser.com/article2608.html

If you're really struggling though, just send me your image by e-mail or PM and I'll resize it for you ;)

Reaction score
Oh well

Tango_and_Saucepans said:
cool... wait my pic is already in .jpg form and it says it's too big, i was trying to make it my avatar thing

You look great just like you are ....
However the program u r using should let you resize, I think in pixels they have to be 100 X 100 or
something like that little, keep trying

Reaction score
USE PAINT!!!! just make the file smaller in size(stretch / scew), then save it as a jpeg.

Reaction score
Well that could just be a way to get my picture, hehe, but thanks. I have paintshop pro i could try that but that programme scares me. I mean theres no paperclip like on word! Lol and i look great as i am? What's that all about i could be some dragqueen cyborg with no eyes or teeth!

Last edited:

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
Well that could just be a way to get my picture, hehe, but thanks. I have paintshop pro i could try that but that programme scares me. I mean theres no paperclip like on word! Lol and i look great as i am? What's that all about i could be some dragqueen cyborg with no eyes or teeth!

Are you a "dragqueen cyborg with no eyes or teeth"? Not that it matters, as all are welcome here :)

Reaction score
What

LOL, to dimn own self be true

I am a spider what do I know

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
I cant quite remember the Paint shop Pro interface, but load your pic in that.
Then there shound be a image menu, and an option in that menu saying something like 'resize image' - select that.
You should get some kind of pop up where you can enter you pixel size. Change the values to less than 100 pixels x 100 pixels. Click apply or ok.

Its a while since i use that program, but that should at least point you in the right direction

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
As already said by two people here, IrfanView is one of the simplest of any free software which can resize the picture. Have used it many times and never had any problems. I suggest you try that out.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
InfanView is the prog to use. Dead easy

Ask a Question