How do you insert a text form field box in your header or footer?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Word Document Management' started by Guest, Apr 4, 2007.

    I am trying to insert a text form field box (gray box) in the footer, but I
    don't know if this can be done. Can it?

    Guest, Apr 4, 2007

  2. If you're referring to a text form field in a protected form, this would be
    pointless since the header and footer are inaccesible in protected forms.

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Apr 5, 2007

    CyberTaz Guest

    Re: How do you insert a text form field box in your header orfooter?

    Although, oddly enough, you can exclude the H/F from being protected. Even
    with access allowed, however, the Forms toolbar is [pretty much] dead when
    in the H/F... But you can insert a Frame. Curious.

    Regards |:>)
    Bob Jones
    [MVP] Office:Mac

    CyberTaz, Apr 5, 2007

    Jay Freedman Guest

    Hi Bob,

    I think that's a historical accident. In early versions of Word, the
    frame was _the_ way to have floating text, and the Frame command was
    on the Insert menu. Somewhere around Word 95 or 97, the text box was
    introduced and MS thought it should now be _the_ way to have floating
    text. For backward compatibility they couldn't remove frames from the
    program, but they banished it to the gulag of the Forms toolbar (even
    though it has little to do with forms).

    The frame command has to be active in the H/F because up through Word
    2003 the Insert > Page Number command uses a frame to position the
    page number (the cause of the buglet in
    http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/UnaccountablyIndented.htm).
    Finally Word 2007 no longer uses frames for page numbers, but they're
    still useful for some things -- if not (particularly) for forms. :)

    --
    Regards,
    Jay Freedman

    Jay Freedman, Apr 5, 2007
  5. Frames *are* useful for forms if you're trying to place text form fields in
    specific positions to print on preprinted forms. And of course frames have
    to be used rather than text boxes because, if I'm not mistaken, you can't
    put form fields in text boxes.

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Apr 5, 2007