    joyoooo Guest

    i am using the beta version of Outlook 2010 and can't figure out how to get
    my email addresses into it.

    joyoooo, May 4, 2010

  2. joyoooo

    neo Guest

    Select the File tab and then Open on the left. This should bring you to
    "Import" on the right. Haven't tried it yet, but you might want to be in
    the Contact folder to see if the Wizard defaults to whatever folder is being
    display before trying the options described.

    neo, May 4, 2010

  3. Ben M. Schorr, MVP, May 4, 2010
  4. joyoooo

    tophawk Guest

    Hope it is OK to jump in here?
    I have popped over fro
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/outlook/thread/1db861cd-eea9-4c1d-a4a7-e037c5bf75cd
    (tophawk)
    If I have a clean install of O2010, can I simply import all my contacts &
    mail in to the newly created (by O2010) .pst file?
    I have for ten years just pointed any new installation to my long existing
    ..pst
    If I am in the wrong place could you direct me
    Thanks

    tophawk, May 7, 2010
  5. "tophawk" <> wrote in message

    > I have popped over from
    > http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/outlook/thread/1db861cd-eea9-4c1d-a4a7-e037c5bf75cd
    > (tophawk)
    > If I have a clean install of O2010, can I simply import all my contacts &
    > mail in to the newly created (by O2010) .pst file?
    > I have for ten years just pointed any new installation to my long existing
    > .pst

    As Ben asked, why are you trying to import? Use the Mail applet in COntrol
    Panel, open that PST, make it your delivery location instead of the empty
    PST, and then remove the empty PST. Start Outlook and it will be just like
    whatever your prior version was.
    --
    Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

    Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook], May 7, 2010
  6. joyoooo

    tophawk Guest

    @Brian Tillman
    The answer to your question is that, like many thousands of us worldwide, I
    am trying to eradicate my problems in O 2010 (reference
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/outlook/thread/1db861cd-eea9-4c1d-a4a7-e037c5bf75cd)
    I really don't want (need) to import as I have simply used an EXISTING .pst
    since the mid 1990s - and always pointed to that one on any rebuild.
    To save you reading that thread - the solution seems to be: use O 2010 for
    my primary POP accounts (including POP Hotmail) and a second (Thunderbird)
    client for the balance of imap accounts etc). This has been running smoothly
    since O 2010 RTM
    Thanks for the response

    tophawk, May 8, 2010
  7. "tophawk" <> wrote in message

    > The answer to your question is that, like many thousands of us worldwide, I
    > am trying to eradicate my problems in O 2010 (reference
    > http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/outlook/thread/1db861cd-eea9-4c1d-a4a7-e037c5bf75cd)

    That's quite a thread. I've got multiple POP, IMAP, and Hotmail accounts
    (using Outlook Connector 14) in Outlook 2010 and 2007 and they've worked well.
    While I think you should be able to have all your accounts in Outlook, if you
    find it's more reliable to use Thunderbird for IMAP, then that's what you
    should use. While I think Outlook 2010 is MUCH better at IMAP than earlier
    versions, Outlook has historically been a poorer IMAP client than some others.
    --
    Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

    Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook], May 8, 2010
  8. joyoooo

    tophawk Guest

    Brian
    I picked up on your point re enhanced support now for IMAP and have this
    morning (local now 1240h) been running Outlook with my POP accounts alongside
    IMAP accounts (gmail.com) and I agree with you; O 2010 does handle them well.
    I can see no benefit in running up Connector for the Hotmail accounts as they
    are all behaving well under POP. This configuration certainly solves the
    problems noted in the thread. I suspect the culprit all along was Connector.
    Thanks for your input
    Peter

    tophawk, May 10, 2010