How do you hook up a monitor with a laptop?

Reaction score
I am having some problems with my desktop PC and 21" monitor. They both power up but I don't get a display on the monitor.

I think the VGA lead might be faulty. I don't have a spare monitor to check what is the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas about what to do?

I'm thinking of getting a lead that connects the monitor to my laptop to see if the monitor still works. What is this lead called??

Cheers!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The lead to the laptop should be the exact same as the one to the desktop? Is it a 15 pin D-Plug (often blue)?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
A VGA to VGA cable is what you want.

Here's one link but you can get them cheaper - and shorter - than that one.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Sorry, I totally misread the first post - pay attention to what Flops said while I plug my brain back in :blush:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Sorry, I totally misread the first post - pay attention to what Flops said while I plug my brain back in :blush:

Um, actually, you're right, aren't you?

It's a male to male lead so he should simply be able to unplug the monitor from the desktop and plug it into the VGA socket on the laptop, n'est ce pas? ;)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
laughingsmiley.gif

Yup, I concur you is both right ... :thumb:

However, be aware that you may need to use your Laptops Fn key (FuNtion keys usually have blue text on them) to switch to the external monitor ... you may even have the key labled as CRT/LCD or a pretty picture on the key ... what Laptop is it ?

user.gif

Reaction score
Hi

I found the Fn key.

So do I plug the VGA cable in (from laptop to external monitor), then press the Fn key on my laptop and that's it? Will the laptops display still be on at the same time? Do I have to do anything when I take the VGA lead off?

I tried connecting an external monitor to my laptop before I wrote this question on this forum, and it didn't work, but I didn't know about the Fn key then.

My laptop is a Dell Precision M90.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you plug the cable in, and then hold the Fn key and press the external monitor F key. Look on the row at the top of the keyboard, F1-F12... one of these will have some monitor images on it (often F4) - that is the external monitor key.

You will need to experiment with any monitor F keys to see if you can get it to display on both the laptop and monitor. Sometimes you press Fn+F4 twice, sometimes its Fn+F3.

muckshifter

Reaction score
mojouk said:
Hi

I found the Fn key.

So do I plug the VGA cable in (from laptop to external monitor), then press the Fn key on my laptop and that's it? Will the laptops display still be on at the same time? Do I have to do anything when I take the VGA lead off?

My laptop is a Dell Precision M90.
Rule one ... do not plug anything in with power on. ;)
Rule two ... what does the Manual say. :p

The Fn key should do nothing on it's own ... you will/may/should need to press another key at the same time.

Nice laptop. :thumb:

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Will try it out. I am assuming the key for an external monitor, on my laptop, is F8 as it is labelled CRT/LCD......

muckshifter

Reaction score
mojouk said:
Thanks for the advice. Will try it out. I am assuming the key for an external monitor, on my laptop, is F8 as it is labelled CRT/LCD......
Looks like it ... :thumb:

user.gif

Ask a Question