    changes to it but cannot figure out how to unlock it. The icon has a little
    lock on the upper right hand corner, and the menu control options are gone on
    the menu when I open it. How do I regain access into it?

    Guest, Jun 30, 2005

    Rick B Guest

    Is it an MDB file or an MDE file?

    If it is an MDE file, you can't change it. You have to find the MDB that
    was used to create it and work off of it, htn save it as an MDE to
    distribute to the users.

    --
    Rick B

    Rick B, Jun 30, 2005

    Larry Linson Guest

    "Paul Rosell" wrote

    > I have an access database that was
    > previously locked. Now I have to make
    > changes to it but cannot figure out how to
    > unlock it. The icon has a little lock on the
    > upper right hand corner, and the menu
    > control options are gone on the menu
    > when I open it. How do I regain access
    > into it?

    If it was just a matter of security being applied, then you would need
    either the "overall database password" (that's the least secure kind) or the
    "workgroup file" if user/group level security was applied, along with a
    userid and password that have the necessary permissions.

    Rick is correct that if it has been "compiled to MDE" (the MDE extension
    could have been renamed to anything without changing the file), code
    modules, and objects which have code modules (forms and reports) are locked
    and can't be displayed in design view. And, in any case, that code has been
    "tokenized" so is not readable, the comments are gone, and the nice
    meaningful names have been replaced with unintelligible pointer indications.

    Your best bet is to find the owner or author and obtain the necessary
    information or the original MDB. I often develop with an unsecured MDB, just
    for convenience, and secure it before distributing it.

    Larry Linson
    Microsoft Access MVP

    Larry Linson, Jul 1, 2005