    After I right click on the directory and select Sharing and Security
    there is no Security tab. On other directories that tab is there.
    What do I need to do to get access to the "blocked" directories?

    Michael W. Ryder, Jun 30, 2009

  2. Michael W. Ryder

    Touch Base Guest

    "Michael W. Ryder" <> wrote in message
    news:V0v2m.410774$...
    I am trying to recover data on a laptop drive where the laptop died. I
    can read the disk but cannot get into the folders where the information
    is that I need. I followed the procedures on Microsoft's site for
    taking ownership of a directory but they don't work on some directories.
    After I right click on the directory and select Sharing and Security
    there is no Security tab. On other directories that tab is there.
    What do I need to do to get access to the "blocked" directories?

    Does this help you?

    http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/...ecurity-tab-found-in-windows-xp-professional/
    So to see and unhide the Security tab, just use the following steps:

    1.. Launch Windows Explorer or My Computer.
    2.. Click on the Tools at the menu bar, then click on Folder Options.
    3.. Click on View tab.
    4.. In the Advanced Settings section at the bottom of the list, uncheck
    and unselect (clear the tick) on the "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)"
    check box.
    5.. Click OK.
    Security tab is available only to Administrator or users with administrative
    rights. So make sure you login as one. And security can only be set in an
    NTFS partition. If you're still having problem to reveal or display the
    Security tab on files or folder properties, check out the following registry
    hack and set the value to 0 or simply delete the key:

    Hive: HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    Key: Software\Microsoft\windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    Name: Nosecuritytab
    Type: REG_DWORD
    Value: 1

    If you're using a Windows XP Professional system that is installed in a
    Workgroup, the Security tab is also hidden by default because in Windows XP
    Home Edition

    and Windows XP Professional, guests are forced to log on to a workgroup.
    Follow the instruction and information on Microsoft Knowledge Base where you
    need to set the value for ForceGuest registry key.

    --
    Regards,
    Touch Base

    "There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy
    to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know
    how to use my telephone." (Bjarne Stroustrup, computer scientist and creator
    of the C++ programming language.)

    Touch Base, Jul 13, 2009

  3. Michael W. Ryder

    TaurArian Guest

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

    NOTE: You must be logged on to the computer using an account that has
    administrative privileges. If you are running Windows XP Home Edition, in
    order to have access to the Security tab, you must first start in Safe Mode
    and log on with an account that has Administrative rights.

    Touch Base wrote:
    :: "Michael W. Ryder" <> wrote in message
    :: news:V0v2m.410774$...
    :: I am trying to recover data on a laptop drive where the laptop died.
    :: I
    :: can read the disk but cannot get into the folders where the
    :: information
    :: is that I need. I followed the procedures on Microsoft's site for
    :: taking ownership of a directory but they don't work on some
    :: directories. After I right click on the directory and select
    :: Sharing and Security
    :: there is no Security tab. On other directories that tab is there.
    :: What do I need to do to get access to the "blocked" directories?
    ::
    ::
    :: Does this help you?
    ::
[...]