    I am trying to subtract columns in excel to get a third column with totals
    automatically without having to subtract each row individually.

    please help!!!

    Guest, Oct 1, 2007

    George Gee Guest

    Assuming data in columns A & B.
    In cell C1 type: =A1-B1

    With cell C1 selected double-click on the fill handle, lower right of cell.

    George Gee

    George Gee, Oct 1, 2007

    Gord Dibben Guest

    Numbers in column A

    Numbers in column B

    In C1 enter =A1-B1

    Double-click on the fill handle of C1 to copy down.

    OR maybe you need..........

    In C1 enter =SUM(A:A)-SUM(B:B) which will not need copying down.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

    Gord Dibben, Oct 1, 2007

    if the first column is A and the Second B it will be in coulumn C this
    get the formula active by typing =A1-B1 in Cell C1 enter select C1 and grab
    the right
    low courner of the cell C1, you should get a solid black cross, left click
    and hold and drag down, this causes a relative copy of the formula. for mor
    info and examples go to help files type relative copying.
    --
    Their is always a solution to any problem.

    Guest, Oct 1, 2007
  5. jewels wrote:

    > I am trying to subtract columns in excel to get a third column with
    > totals automatically without having to subtract each row
    > individually.
    >
    > please help!!!

    Try this:
    =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A200)-(B1:B200))

    The result is (A1-B1)+(A2-B2)+(A3-B3)+.....+(A200-B200)

    --
    Rodrigo Ferreira
    Regards from Brazil

    Rodrigo Ferreira, Oct 1, 2007