  1. Ramie in SC

    Ramie in SC Guest

    How do I stop the cursor from blinking in Word 2007?

    Ramie in SC, Jan 4, 2010

  2. Ramie in SC

    Daddy Guest

    You mean "how do I stop the cursor from blinking in Windows"? Without
    knowing which version of Windows you have it's tough to give specific
    directions. For example, in Windows XP you go to Control Panel > Keyboard >
    Speed tab > 'Cursor blink rate'

    Daddy

    Daddy, Jan 4, 2010

  3. It's similar in Vista and Win 7 too. All done through the Control Panel,
    Keyboard applet.

    --
    Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

    Terry Farrell, Jan 4, 2010
  4. Ramie in SC

    Tony Jollans Guest

    The way the cursor blinks when typing in Word 2007 is different from the way
    it blinks in Word 2003. As far as I know there isn't anything you can do
    about the behaviour, although, as others have said, changing Windows
    settings may help you.

    --
    Enjoy,
    Tony

    www.WordArticles.com

    Tony Jollans, Jan 5, 2010
  5. Ramie in SC

    Dean L Guest

    First, Office 2007 does not honor the windows settings for cursor blink rate.
    But that's besides the point, because the don't-blink-while-typing behavior
    of the cursor is apparently an Office issue.

    To experience the perpetual blink, create a new Word document or compose a
    new Outlook email and just press and hold the spacebar to make an entire line
    of spaces across the screen. As spaces are made across your screen, notice
    how the cursor continues to blink, appearing and disappearing on its own.

    Try the same thing in any other program... notepad, internet explorer, any
    windows dialog box, even when typing a reply to this message. The cursor
    stays solid while you're typing and doesn't resume blinking until you stop.
    That's the way the cursor should behave, and why the Office 2007 team decided
    to do it differently doesn't make any sense.

    I heard this cursor blink behavior also exists in 2010.

    What is so fundamentally different about the Office cursor?

    Dean L, Jan 21, 2010
  6. Does this only happen in Outlook 2007 or does it happen in Word 2007 as
    well? (Note that Outlook 2007 does not use Word 2007 as its email editor).

    It certainly doesn't happen in Word 2010 (I'm not using Outlook 2010 at the
    moment to test) and I don't remember anything like that in Word 2003 either.

    Terry

    Terry Farrell, Jan 21, 2010
  7. Ramie in SC

    Tony Jollans Guest

    My Word 2007 (on Vista) appears to honour the Windows blink rate.

    The blinking while typing was a change in Word 2007 (and I think it is just
    Word, not the whole of Office) that has never been explained. My Word 2010
    (on Windows 7) behaves the same way as Word 2007.

    --
    Enjoy,
    Tony

    www.WordArticles.com