How do I remove paragraph symbols on every line in Word?

Kathleen

All my Word documents are coming up with paragraph symbols on every line. If
the line has text, the symbol is at the end of the line. If there is no text,
it's on the left. How do I remove this?

Graham Mayor

CTRL+SHIFT+8
or click the ¶ button

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

Peter T. Daniels

If they're on _every_ line, then you're probably looking at text
downloaded from a webpage, and you probably want to remove them so
that Word can be a proper word processor.

If the actual paragraphs are separated by two (or more) paragraph
symbols, then use Find/Replace (Ctrl-H) to Find two paragraph marks
(^p^p) and Replace with something not otherwise used in your document
(such as line break, ^l [lowercase L]), then Find/Replace every
paragraph mark (^p) with a space (type spacebar in the Replace with
box), then Find/Replace each line break (^l) with a paragraph break
(^p).

(If each of the lines ends with a space before the paragraph mark,
then Replace ^p with nothing at all -- leave the Replace with box
empty.)

Or maybe you hit "Enter" at the end of each line, as if you were using
a typewriter? Don't do that.

marysully

Do you mean the paragraph markers that show up when the show/hide key
(paragraph symbol located on the standard toolbar) is activated. Just click
[...]

.

Stefan Blom

Have you tried clicking the ¶ button as suggested earlier in this thread? If that doesn't work, you will have to display the Options dialog box and clear the "paragraph marks" option.

To display the dialog box: In Word 97-2003, click Tools | Options, View tab. In Word 2007, click Office button | Word Options | Display category. In Word 2010, click File tab | Options | Display.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

________________________________
"White Oglesby" wrote in message
How do remove paragraph symbol from document.
All my Word documents are coming up with paragraph symbols on every line. If
the line has text, the symbol is at the end of the line. If there is no text,
it is on the left. How do I remove this?
On Thursday, February 11, 2010 11:06 AM Graham Mayor wrote:
CTRL+SHIFT+8
or click the ¶ button

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
On Thursday, February 11, 2010 1:48 PM Peter T. Daniels wrote:
If they are on _every_ line, then you are probably looking at text
downloaded from a webpage, and you probably want to remove them so
that Word can be a proper word processor.

If the actual paragraphs are separated by two (or more) paragraph
symbols, then use Find/Replace (Ctrl-H) to Find two paragraph marks
(^p^p) and Replace with something not otherwise used in your document
(such as line break, ^l [lowercase L]), then Find/Replace every
paragraph mark (^p) with a space (type spacebar in the Replace with
box), then Find/Replace each line break (^l) with a paragraph break
(^p).

(If each of the lines ends with a space before the paragraph mark,
then Replace ^p with nothing at all -- leave the Replace with box
empty.)

Or maybe you hit "Enter" at the end of each line, as if you were using
a typewriter? Don't do that.

wrote:
If
ext,

Joined
Dec 2, 2014
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I hope this posts in the correct spot because I haven't a clue what I'm doing. It's my first day here and first time posting. I googled the problem I was having in Word 2010 with the paragraph symbols appearing on every stinking line in the whole document. I was directed to your site with a possible solution. There were many suggestions but the one that worked for me was the one Stefan Blom posted. I did try his first suggestion - clicking on the paragraph symbol but he said if that didn't work to go to the Options dialog box and clear the paragraph marks option. That worked like a charm. I can't tell you how many hours I've been searching for the solution but it looks like this is the go-to site, since I know just enough about computers to get myself in trouble. A big thank you going out to Stefan! I sometimes get pretty anal about the small details and this was one of them that bugged the crap out of me. The beer is on me Stefan. :cheers: If you're under the drinking age....... chug it. Now on to my next problem. It's only waiting in the wings.