    giving me a failed to initialize error. How do I reinstall Defender into
    Vista? I tried to download it again but it said I have Vista and it's already
    on my system. I run Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit.

    Aquayogi, Dec 9, 2007

  2. Aquayogi

    Engel Guest

    Hello Aquayogi,

    Try this first

    32-bit http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=85914&clcid=0x409

    http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal

    Let us know how it works ºut
    - -- ---

    FATHER
    The worst misfortune that can happen to an ordinary man is to have an
    extraordinary father.

    Ǝиçεl

    Engel, Dec 9, 2007

  3. Aquayogi

    Engel Guest

    Hi Aquayogi,

    0x800700C1 -2147024703 ERROR_BAD_EXE_FORMAT is not a valid Win32 application

    That error usually indicates the file is corrupt.
    - -- --

    I notice you been try diferent solutions,

    http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...7c7-81ad-4cc4-ba6d-c6f09f0d9226&lang=en&cr=US

    You might try this. Go to the main Windows Update window and click on
    "Installed Updates" (on the left-hand side of the window, at the bottom), and
    then remove "Update for Microsoft Windows (KB931099)" (only).

    Reboot. Reboot again. Go back to Windows Update, and re-install the same
    update, by clicking on the Check for Updates button.

    This should essentially re-install Windows Defender on Vista.

    --
    Also, you can get direct help from Microsoft for issues with virus
    infections or issues related to security patches.

    I'd recommend calling 1-866-pcsafety if you are in the U.S. or Canada.

    Elsewhere, call your local Microsoft subsidiary, or the number for paid
    support in your locale--and ask for the free help with virus or
    security-patch related issues.

    This help extends to spyware removal as well.

    If you /clearly/ state that a specific update or virus has caused problems
    and don't ask any other questions, you /should/ receive No Charge support for
    the issue.

    Good luck
    -

    Engel, Dec 9, 2007
  4. Aquayogi

    Aquayogi Guest

    Reinstalling the definition again didn't fix the corrupt files.

    Aquayogi, Dec 9, 2007
  5. Aquayogi

    Aquayogi Guest

    First let me start by congratulating you on being the first person to solve
    this problem! Thank you SOOOO much! Now Defender is up and running. I have a
    quick question. Do you think it is safe to download the update definition for
    it? I have turned off auto-update and I am able to sit with this computer and
    watch it update.

    Aquayogi, Dec 9, 2007
  6. Excellent--you hit that one exactly right, and it is one I'd missed--thanks!

    Bill Sanderson, Dec 10, 2007
  7. Aquayogi

    Aquayogi Guest

    Still Mr. Sanderson you deserve some thanks as well for working with me on
    the other thread. Good job to both of you.

    Aquayogi, Dec 10, 2007
  8. Aquayogi

    Engel Guest

    Hi Aquayogi, and Bill S.

    This is a peer-to-peer newsgroup, /voluntary/support

    Answers generally come from people like you, myself and others. you weed
    hrough the thousands of posts to find them.

    With very few exceptions, no one here represents Microsºft.

    The other people answering questions here volunteer on their own time.

    However, there are a number of volunteers who typically review the
    newsgroups. The newsgroups are designed for peer to peer discussions and
    support. Sometimes a question can be overlooked and not replied to and
    sometimes it isn't replied to because the answer may not be known immediately

    I thank you for your words, but the credit is for Dean-Dean a regular
    contributor here,

    Giving credit where credit is due!

    Happy Christmªs

    Ǝиçεl
    - - - -

    FAME
    Greater things are believed of those who are absent. —Tacitus

    Engel, Dec 10, 2007
  9. Aquayogi

    Aquayogi Guest

    Well many thanks to Dean-Dean as well!

    Aquayogi, Dec 10, 2007
  10. Aquayogi

    rosko Guest

    You are a genius!
    Thanks a million for the very useful tip.

    Luc (Belgium)

    rosko, Jan 27, 2008
  11. Aquayogi

    James Guest

    Engel,
    You had mentioned:
    "You might try this. Go to the main Windows Update window and click on
    > "Installed Updates" (on the left-hand side of the window, at the bottom), and
    > then remove "Update for Microsoft Windows (KB931099)" (only).

    The problem I am having is that when I try to remove "Update for Microsoft
    Windows (KB931099)", it will not allow me to delete. Any suggestions as to
    how to delete this?

    Thanks, James

    James, May 17, 2008
  12. James - I am able to remove and reinstall that update on my system without
    obvious issues.

    What problem are you trying to resolve by uninstalling this update?

    Is the version of Vista you are working with an upgrade from Windows XP?

    Bill Sanderson, May 19, 2008

    nitin chakote, Jun 11, 2008
  14. right from the installation on dell ispiron 530 ,windows defender is not
    working propely.can i reinstall windows defender?

    nitin chakote, Jun 11, 2008
  15. What version of windows? If this is Windows Vista, the answer is no.

    However, define "not working properly?"

    If you have installed Windows Live OneCare, or Microsoft Forefront Client
    Security, these applications include the functionality of Windows Defender
    and will disable the Windows Defender User Interface.

    Bill Sanderson, Jun 21, 2008
  16. Aquayogi

    Cor Guest

    Hi,

    I uninstalled update KB931099 but when I try to reintsall it it says "update
    does not apply to your system". So, still no Windows Defender, not even the
    folder in Program Files and One Care keeps giving me an unprotected warning.

    Any solution short of reinstalling Vista again?

    Thks

    Regards

    Cor

    Cor, Sep 30, 2008
  17. I would do a repair install of Vista.

    I have to say, though, that I'm not dead certain how to do this, unless
    perchance you have not yet installed Service Pack 1.

    The usual route is to start Windows, insert the Vista DVD, and tell it to
    upgrade.

    However, my experience with a system I have with a beta SP1 on it is that I
    got "sorry, no can do--installed OS is newer than the DVD--can't upgrade!"
    (or words to that effect.)

    In which case you'd need to remove SP1, then run the upgrade, then go back
    to WU and put back SP1 and any ancillary updates that are missing.

    OneCare comes with live support--have you tried running the errors that it
    gives past that support?

    Bill Sanderson, Oct 1, 2008
  18. Aquayogi

    jimmyo Guest

    jimmyo, Jan 11, 2009
  19. Aquayogi

    odat Guest

    "Engel" wrote:

    > Hello Aquayogi,
    >
    > Try this first
    >
    > 32-bit http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=85914&clcid=0x409
    >

    > http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal
    >

    > Let us know how it works ºut
    > - -- ---
    >
    > FATHER
    > The worst misfortune that can happen to an ordinary man is to have an
    > extraordinary father.
    >

    > Ǝиçεl
    >

    > "Aquayogi" wrote:
    >
    > > Recently, while downloading a definition update, something happened which
    > > made Windows Defender corrupt. The update failed, and now Defender won't run,
    > > giving me a failed to initialize error. How do I reinstall Defender into
    > > Vista? I tried to download it again but it said I have Vista and it's already
    > > on my system. I run Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit.

    Can you give me a link for the 64 bit vista os?
    Thanks
    Karen

    odat, Feb 18, 2010
  20. Aquayogi

    Logeshwarrior

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2014
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi, You cannot find a Installation package for Windows Defender. You can revoke it easily.

    Logeshwarrior, Jan 27, 2014