How do I reference "DataObject"?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Excel Programming' started by Carl, Mar 14, 2005.

  1. Carl

    Carl Guest

    I'm trying to retrieve text from the windows clipboard in my Excel
    2003 application. I've checked Chip Pearson's website and found the
    code that does exactly what I need to do. The following line fails
    with the error "User-defined type not defined".

    Dim ClipboardISBN As dataobject

    I read in another thread, "it's a member of msforms library, not from
    native vba. you'll need a reference to Microsoft Forms 2.0 Object
    Library. The reference is automatically added to a workbook when you
    insert a Userform from VBeditor's Insert menu."

    I added a userform and tried to compile but no go for me. I must need
    to install something else because I could not even see a reference to
    Microsoft Forms Object Library in the references window in the VBA
    Editor.

    How do I reference "dataobject"? What am I doing wrong????

    Thank you,

    Carl

    Carl, Mar 14, 2005

  2. Carl

    Guest Guest

    It would be very odd for VBA to add a userform without the Forms library, so
    first try a simple check: after adding the userform, go to the object browser
    and in the dropdown box at the very top, where it (normally) says "<All
    Libraries>", see if MSForms is listed. If it is, you are getting the error
    for another reason. I work with OfficeXP, but doubt that the following info
    has changed for 2003:

    If MSForms is not listed, and you can't find it in the References list, go
    to add a reference and then hit the "Browse..." button to look for the file
    yourself. MSForms is in a file called "FM20.dll" (at least for version 2.0;
    other versions would be numbered accordingly) which is probably in your
    Windows\System32 folder. You should be able to add it that way (even without
    adding a UserForm). If you can't find the file, it may have somehow gotten
    erased and you may need to reinstall Excel.

    If, however, you find that you have the MSForms library in your project and
    it still throws an error on your Dim statement, you may need to explicitly
    reference the dataobject as being from the Forms library

    Dim ClipboardISBN as MSForms.dataobject

    Hope you get it working
    K Dales

    Guest, Mar 14, 2005