How do I overcome Outlook's failure to remember my password?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Outlook Discussion' started by Guest, Dec 22, 2005.

    I have recently changed Interner provider and mow I am unable to make Outlook
    remember my password. Does anyone have a clue to the cause of this problem?

    Guest, Dec 22, 2005

  2. Vince Averello [MVP-Outlook], Dec 22, 2005

    This fix doesn't specify Vista & Office 2007. I am nervous to use it.

    Guest, Mar 22, 2007

    Roady [MVP] Guest

    And you don't have to use it as Windows Vista nor Office 2007 support the
    Protective Storage regkey. In other words; this article doesn't apply to you
    as specified in the article.

    --
    Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    http://www.howto-outlook.com/

    -----

    Roady [MVP], Mar 22, 2007

    That cured my problem. Thanks for your help.

    Guest, Mar 22, 2007

    Hi,

    I have the same issue. Found several articles on the internet, MS KB and in
    this forum. Most of them point to the Protected storage system and to fix
    that registry key (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=290684), but none of
    them work for me though.

    Also my Windows Live Messenger does not remember the username and password
    anymore.

    My configuration
    - Outlook 2003 with all SP's and security updates, using 4 pop3 accounts
    - WinXP SP2 with all and security updates
    - Internet Explorer 7
    - McAfee security centre
    --
    Thanks
    JeePee

    Guest, Apr 28, 2007

    Any idea of the fix in this configuration?

    Guest, May 15, 2007

    "Vince Averello [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

    > Take a look here, it may help:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290684

    Problem is I can't make
    the fix work on my vista o/s. This problem of not remembering passwoords has
    plagued me for years now, I was excited to find the fix, but now can't make
    it work in Vista.

    Specifically, when I try to access the relevant registry key I get the
    message "Registry Editor could not set security in the key currently
    selected, or some of its subkeys". Then when I try to delete the S-1-5-21
    etc. subkey I get the message "Cannot delete subkey...Error while deleting
    key".

    I have tried to delete the key while logged in as user and administrator,
    but no luck.

    Any ideas would be much appreciated. This is a very frustrating bug.

    Guest, Aug 30, 2007

    I'm not sure I understand. I have the problem and I am running Vista. How
    would I fix it?

    Thanks for any reply.

    Guest, Aug 30, 2007

    I also had this issue in Outlook 2003, but also in indows Live Messenger and
    Internet Explorer 7.

    I spend hours and hours searching the internet and could not find the
    solution. The only possible solution you find on almost all forums (but does
    not help in most cases is to repair the protected storage system provided
    registry key: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290684.

    So, here is a solution that is not even in the Microsoft knowledge base. It
    helped me and hopefully many others. It was found because I new exactly when
    it started to happen: after uninstalling a software program. The uninstall
    procedure removed to many registry keys...

    Note, I used it on XP ...

    HERE WE GO...

    Important: this solution contains information about how to modify the
    registry. Make sure to back up the registry before you modify it. Make sure
    that you know how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. View the
    following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base for information about how
    to back up, restore, and modify the registry:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986/

    Follow the next steps to solve this issue:

    1. Close all running programs
    2. Click on [Start] » Run
    3. Type "Regedit" and click [OK]
    4. Open the following folder:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
    Shell Folders
    6. Enter "AppData" as a name
    7. Double click the new entry
    8. Enter "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data" in the value data field.
    9. Close the registry editor

    It is possible that additional registry keys are missing. Below is a list of
    all keys that should exist in the "User Shell Folders". There are different
    ways to add these keys again:
    * Use the instructions provided on
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/usershellfolders.htm
    * Add them manually by following the steps above
    * Export the keys from a computer/user on which the issue does not occur,
    and then importing them again.

    To export and import:
    1. Logon to Windows with a user account for which the issue does not occur
    (this may also be a different workstation).
    2. Click on [Start] » Run
    3. Type "Regedit" and click [OK]
    4. Open the following folder:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
    Shell Folders
    5. Right click the "User Shell Folders" key on the left and choose "Export".
    Specify a name and location of for the export file and click [Save].
    6. Close the registry editor
    7. Logon to Windows with the user account that experiences this issue
    8. Double click on the exported registry key you created in step 5.
    9. Click [Yes] when asked if you are sure to add the information, then click
    [OK] for the "successfully imported" message.

    Registry keys that should exist in the "User Shell Folders" key.
    The list below has the format "Key Name - Value Data". The type for all keys
    is "Expandable String Value" (REG_EXPAND_SZ).

    * AppData - %USERPROFILE%\Application Data
    * Cache - %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
    * Cookies - %USERPROFILE%\Cookies
    * Desktop - %USERPROFILE%\Desktop
    * Favorites - %USERPROFILE%\Favorites
    * History - %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\History
    * Local AppData - %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data
    * Local Settings - %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings
    * My Pictures - %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\My Pictures
    * NetHood - %USERPROFILE%\NetHood
    * Personal - %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\
    * PrintHood - %USERPROFILE%\PrintHood
    * Programs - %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs
    * SendTo - %USERPROFILE%\SendTo
    * Start Menu - %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu
    * Startup - %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    * Templates - %USERPROFILE%\Templates

    MORE INFORMATION
    The "User Shell Folder" is a subkey of the
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
    registry. Entries in this subkey can also appear in the "Shell Folders"
    subkey and in both HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_CURRENT_USER. The entries that
    appear in user User Shell Folders take precedence over those in Shell
    Folders. The entries that appear in HKEY_CURRENT_USER take precedence over
    those in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

    Guest, Aug 30, 2007

    Geojoa Guest

    I READ THIS FIX AND CHECKED MY REGISTRY - I NOTE THAT MY USER SHELL FOLDER
    CONTAINS ON THESE 2 KEYS - DEFAULT AND LOCAL APP DATA. sO, AM i TO INFER
    THAT i SHOULD ADD ALL OF THE OTHER KEYS MENTIONED INTO THAT FOLDER? MAKES ME
    A TAD NERVOUS TO DO IT.
    THE 2908684 FIXES DIDN'T WORK FOR ME.
    MY PROBLEM WITH FAILURE TO RETAIN PASSWORDS BEGAN AFTER MY USER PROFILE
    BECAME CORRUPTED (FOR UNKNOWN REASONS) AND i HAD TO CREATE A NEW ONE.
    I'M RUNNING XP WITH OUTLOOK 2007.
    (AND IT BRIAN'S OUT THERE - I DID TRY TURNING OFF MY VIRUS SCANNING PROGRAM
    - DIDN'T HELP.)
    JUST LOOKING FOR SOME REASSURANCE AND CONFIRMATION THAT THIS LAST SUGGESTION
    BY JEEPEE IS REASONALBE IN MY SITUATION.
    THANKS,
    GEOJOA

    Geojoa, Nov 23, 2008

    JeePee Guest

    Hi Geojoa,

    You say you created a new user profile, then it is strange that you have all
    these entries missing from the registry.

    In all situations where we ran into this password issue, the problems were
    solved after creating a new user profile - or - when you don't want to loose
    all your settings, by adding the appdata key to the registry (but I don't
    think it harms if you add the other keys as well).

    --
    Thanks
    JeePee

    JeePee, Nov 24, 2008

    Geojoa Guest

    Yes, trust me to come up with a weird scenario. Thanks.
    BTW, I note that in the Shell Folder all those keys plus many more exist,
    just not in the User Shell Folder -- don't know the significance of that.

    Best,
    Geojoa

    Geojoa, Nov 24, 2008

    JeePee Guest

    I am sorry, but if that does not help then I have no clue where else to look.
    I also came up with this solution by accident only.

    Or as your friends @ Microsoft will probably say: please install all
    updates, if that does not work, install Windows again from the cd on top of
    the current installation and if that does not help, format C and install
    everything all over again. It at least keeps you busy for another few days
    (or weeks)...

    Sorry I can't be of more help and good luck finding your solution...

    --
    Thanks
    JeePee

    JeePee, Nov 24, 2008
  15. "Geojoa" <> wrote in message

    >I READ THIS FIX AND CHECKED MY REGISTRY -

    Your Caps Lock key is stuck. Better get that fixed.

    > MY PROBLEM WITH FAILURE TO RETAIN PASSWORDS BEGAN AFTER MY USER PROFILE
    > BECAME CORRUPTED (FOR UNKNOWN REASONS) AND i HAD TO CREATE A NEW ONE.
    > I'M RUNNING XP WITH OUTLOOK 2007.

    If you created a new Windows user and the keys are still missing, have you
    tried repairing Windows? It's not something I'd expect to see ordinarily.
    --
    Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

    Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook], Nov 24, 2008

    Chet Guest

    Like you, I can pinpoint the start of my probem: I used Add/Remove Pgm to
    remove Sonic Update Manager. (It was starting, not completing, and quiting.
    It was a recurring pain. I didn't use it...) Like you, I'm running XP and
    Outlook 2003, both up to snuff with updates. I don't use Live Messenger.

    I've been scouring discussion areas and trying a number of fixes, none so
    challenging as yours. I expected a Restore-solution or a precise regedit, if
    I had a key or two removed while removing Sonic.

    I was wondering if now, over a year later, you have any different thoughts
    as to the solution. I'm cross-eyed (from reading) and won't attempt your fix
    till the morning, after a couple cups of coffee. I do have a networked PC
    that I've kept closely configured to this PC and had Outlook running
    flawlessly on it only a couple weeks ago.

    I would appreciate your, or anyone else's for that matter, second guess

    vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

    Chet, Nov 29, 2008

    The User Shell Folders registry solution worked for me. I had
    uninstalled several applications the day before (I'm not sure which
    one damaged my registry) and then Outlook started prompting me for e-
    mail account passwords over and over. None of the possible fixes at
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290684 worked for me. Just in case
    this might prove helpful for others, here is my system configuration:

    Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005, Service Pack 3
    Office 2007 SP1 (installed as part of Office 2007 Professional Plus)

    JeePee, thanks for posting this - it saved me a lot of trouble. I had
    resigned myself to reinstalling Outlook as a last resort, but I had
    hesitated to do it because there was no guarantee that would have
    helped matters. As it turns out, it wouldn't have fixed my problem;
    indeed, it would have blown away a lot of Outlook customization and
    cost me even more time in the long run. Thanks again!

    , Dec 15, 2008