    nikogee Guest

    I received a Windows Publisher document and can not open it. I have OFFICE
    HOME & STUDENT

    nikogee, Apr 5, 2008

  2. Word does not have the ability to open Publisher files. For that, you need
    Publisher.

    --
    Herb Tyson MS MVP
    Author of the Word 2007 Bible

    Herb Tyson [MVP], Apr 5, 2008

  3. nikogee

    Mary Sauer Guest

    Mary Sauer, Apr 5, 2008
  4. nikogee

    JoAnn Paules Guest

    You could download the trial version of Publisher. This would allow you to
    open that file *plus* try Publisher out for yourelf. If you don't like it
    (and I can't imagine that), you can always let it expire. I think you'll be
    pleased with how much nore creative you can be with Publisher. :)

    --

    JoAnn Paules
    MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

    JoAnn Paules, Apr 5, 2008
  5. nikogee

    grammatim Guest

    I was serious when I asked why there weren't any Publisher 2003 books
    -- it looks from the chapters in the Office 2003 books as though it
    can do certain things well, but the blurbs claim it's a "desktop
    publishing" application: yet AFAICT it's not made for "publishing"
    anything more extensive than a brochure? It ought to be able to do the
    things that are supposedly done by Master Documents in Word, and we
    have an idea of how well _those_ work. (Again, FrameMaker provides the
    model; Adobe's supposed replacement for it, InDesign, isn't.)

    grammatim, Apr 5, 2008
  6. nikogee

    Mary Sauer Guest

    Publisher is a modestly priced DTP application, InDesign is not ($600 vs. about
    $100). Publisher 2003 introduced the catalog merge, it is a great tool for those
    who want to do directories and the like.
    There are books dedicated to Publisher, you just have to look for them.
    Microsoft has the best help however.
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/FX100649121033.aspx

    --
    Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
    http://office.microsoft.com/

    Mary Sauer, Apr 5, 2008
  7. A major distinction between Word and Publisher is the focus. With Word, the
    overall focus really is words and broad issues of document layout. Hence,
    there are lots of tools that facilitate working with words. Formatting is
    important, but not as important as content.

    With Publisher, the focus is page layout and getting each page formatted in
    a more or less precise and deliberate way. It strength is fixed format
    documents such as newsletters, greeting cards, and brochures. Desktop
    publishing in this sense doesn't mean publishing books or coordinating
    chapters. (The Master Document feature in Word while invitingly interesting,
    continues to be a great way to corrupt documents, even in Word 2007,
    unfortunately. It's a great idea whose implementation remains flawed.)

    The advantage of Publisher over Adobe's offerings is that some of us don't
    do well with Adobe's mindset and vocabulary. Hence, if you speak
    "Microsoftese" well but don't speak Abobese, then Publisher offers a more
    modestly priced and [for some of us] an easier-to-understand alternative. If
    there aren't tons of Publisher books, that might be because the market for
    Publisher isn't very large. But, it might also be because Publisher is very
    intuitive and doesn't really require big thick books in order to use &
    understand it. Just my own two cents...

    Herb Tyson [MVP], Apr 5, 2008