    Many thanks
    --
    Jason

    Guest, Mar 28, 2007

  2. Hello Jason,

    I'd like to know if you save the query before you close the design view?
    Which version of Access do you use?

    I was not able to reproduce the issue on my side. I will be prompted to
    save the query if I change the position of tables in diagram panel.

    If you have other related information, please also let's know. Thank you.

    Best Regards,

    Peter Yang
    MCSE2000/2003, MCSA, MCDBA
    Microsoft Online Community Support
    <http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/support/default.aspx>.

    Peter Yang [MSFT], Mar 28, 2007

    John Spencer Guest

    If the query is not a SAVED query that you give a name, then it won't retain
    your formatting. Look in the queries tab, does the query name appear there?

    If you are building and saving the query string as the source for a report
    or form then the query does not retain your formatting.

    --
    John Spencer
    Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007

    John Spencer, Mar 28, 2007

    Peter,
    First thanks for your reply, I've been away hence my delay in getting back
    to you. I'm using Access 2003. Yes i do save the query - as you say I'm
    also prompted to do so if I change anything at all. But the table layout
    always changes so that when the query is reopened they are all sitting on top
    of each other , or at least overlapping. May be there is some option I
    haven't set?

    John
    --
    Jason

    Guest, Apr 2, 2007

    John

    Yes it is a Saved query. Please see my reply to Peter Yang. It seems that
    neither of you have experienced this behaviour, so I'm wondering what I've
    done. It has been like it for years and I'm only asking now in a sort of
    desperation as my patience has at last run out!

    Thanks, John
    --
    Jason

    Guest, Apr 2, 2007
  6. Hello Jason,

    As far as I know, there is no such option. To isolate the issue, you may
    want to check if the issue occurs for a different user with local admin
    rights? Also, did you try sample Northwind database or a new database?

    In addition, please check if the issue occurs in Safe Mode. To enter Safe
    Mode:

    1. When the Boot Menu appears at startup, press F8.
    2. On the Windows Advanced Options Menu, select Safe Mode and press Enter.

    I look forward to your reply. Thank you.

    Best Regards,

    Peter Yang
    MCSE2000/2003, MCSA, MCDBA
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    Peter Yang [MSFT], Apr 3, 2007

    John Spencer Guest

    Sorry, I have no idea why you are having the problem.

    If I move tables around in the query design mode and save the change then
    the tables are in that position the next time I open the query in the design
    view. This works for me in Access 97, 2000, and 2003. I've never used
    2002, so I can't say if it works in that version.

    John Spencer, Apr 3, 2007

    John

    It's very helpful to know that I'm the odd one out - its given me the hope I
    need to persevere to fix it.

    Thanks vm

    Jason
    --