    --
    Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
    Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com

    Steve Hayes, Mar 24, 2012

  2. It is far from obvious, but Insert | Text | Object | Text from File opens
    the familiar Insert File dialog. Note that Object is a split button; be sure
    you click on the arrow beside it (which drops a menu), not the button
    itself, which opens the Insert Object dialog.

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Mar 24, 2012

  3. Steve Hayes

    Steve Hayes Guest

    On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 09:12:24 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" <>
    wrote:

    >It is far from obvious, but Insert | Text | Object | Text from File opens
    >the familiar Insert File dialog. Note that Object is a split button; be sure
    >you click on the arrow beside it (which drops a menu), not the button
    >itself, which opens the Insert Object dialog.

    Wow, they're really good at hiding stuff!

    Steve Hayes, Mar 24, 2012
  4. All this in the name of making Word's features "more discoverable." <g>

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Mar 25, 2012
  5. Steve Hayes

    Stefan Blom Guest

    Some things apparently aren't meant to be discovered... <g>

    --
    Stefan Blom
    Microsoft Word MVP

    Stefan Blom, Mar 25, 2012
  6. Steve Hayes

    Daddy Guest

    On 3/25/2012 8:31 AM, Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
    > All this in the name of making Word's features "more discoverable." <g>

    I actually feel that the ribbon does make features more discoverable,
    since more of them are exposed to view.

    The problem, IMO, is that by now Word has /so many/ features that even
    with the ribbon, we still need to dig sometimes to find what we want.
    And with the ribbon, one person's 'logical place' is another's twisted
    logic.

    Daddy

    Daddy, Mar 26, 2012
  7. Steve Hayes

    Stefan Blom Guest

    > I actually feel that the ribbon does make features more discoverable,
    > since more of them are exposed to view.

    But isn't that because the ribbon fills the space of two toolbars? :)

    --
    Stefan Blom
    Microsoft Word MVP

    Stefan Blom, Mar 26, 2012
  8. Steve Hayes

    Steve Hayes Guest

    On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 13:06:37 -0400, Daddy <> wrote:

    >On 3/25/2012 8:31 AM, Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
    >> All this in the name of making Word's features "more discoverable." <g>
    >>

    >I actually feel that the ribbon does make features more discoverable,
    >since more of them are exposed to view.
    >
    >The problem, IMO, is that by now Word has /so many/ features that even
    >with the ribbon, we still need to dig sometimes to find what we want.
    >And with the ribbon, one person's 'logical place' is another's twisted
    >logic.

    In the case of this one, apart from being well hidden, it was rather
    confusing, and led me to think that if I wanted to import a file it would be
    inserted in a text box.

    But the biggest problem is that "Insert file" finds nothing in the help file.

    Steve Hayes, Mar 27, 2012
  9. Steve Hayes

    Daddy Guest

    On 3/27/2012 4:23 AM, Steve Hayes wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 13:06:37 -0400, Daddy<> wrote:
    >
    >> On 3/25/2012 8:31 AM, Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
    >>> All this in the name of making Word's features "more discoverable."<g>
    >>>

    >> I actually feel that the ribbon does make features more discoverable,
    >> since more of them are exposed to view.
    >>
    >> The problem, IMO, is that by now Word has /so many/ features that even
    >> with the ribbon, we still need to dig sometimes to find what we want.
    >> And with the ribbon, one person's 'logical place' is another's twisted
    >> logic.

    > In the case of this one, apart from being well hidden, it was rather
    > confusing, and led me to think that if I wanted to import a file it would be
    > inserted in a text box.
    >
    > But the biggest problem is that "Insert file" finds nothing in the help file.

    Bingo on the Help file. Even when connected to Microsoft's website, the
    'help' is very little help indeed.

    Daddy

    Daddy, Mar 27, 2012
  10. Steve Hayes

    Stefan Blom Guest

    Searching directly at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ will be more
    useful. Or search via Google (you can specify site:microsoft.com or
    site:blush:ffice.com to reduce the number of hits).

    --
    Stefan Blom
    Microsoft Word MVP

    Stefan Blom, Mar 28, 2012
  11. Steve Hayes

    Steve Hayes Guest

    On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 01:05:19 +0200, "Stefan Blom"
    <> wrote:

    >Searching directly at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ will be more
    >useful. Or search via Google (you can specify site:microsoft.com or
    >site:blush:ffice.com to reduce the number of hits).

    But rewriting the "help" file to make it more helpful would be better.

    Steve Hayes, Mar 28, 2012
  12. Steve Hayes

    Stefan Blom Guest

    I'm not sure the help file is so bad, even in recent versions of Word. The
    difficult part is finding the relevant articles when searching it--from
    within Word that is.

    --
    Stefan Blom
    Microsoft Word MVP