    the left of the page to the corresponding page number on the right of the
    page. I used to know how to do this, but it's been quite a while since I've
    had to...

    DanielleK, May 12, 2008

  2. DanielleK

    Jay Freedman Guest

    On Sun, 11 May 2008 17:53:00 -0700, DanielleK
    <> wrote:

    >I'm working on an index and would like the dots to "lead" from the name on
    >the left of the page to the corresponding page number on the right of the
    >page. I used to know how to do this, but it's been quite a while since I've
    >had to...

    If you're adding an index to a Word document, use the built-in indexing feature
    to mark entries and insert an Index field; dot leaders are the default setting
    for that (although you can choose other settings).

    If you're manually building an index for something that isn't a Word document
    (which I've done several times for page proofs of thousand-page books), modify
    the style applied to the entries.

    In the Modify Style dialog, click the Format button and choose Tabs. In the Tabs
    dialog, enter a tab stop position equal to the distance from the left margin to
    the right margin (generally 6"). Click the option for Right alignment and choose
    the dot leader. Click the Set button (you MUST remember to do this, because just
    clicking OK won't retain your entry) and then click OK in each dialog.

    In each entry, type the name at the left, press the Tab key, and type the page
    number.

    --
    Regards,
    Jay Freedman