How do I insert a checkmark into an excel spreadsheet?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Excel Misc' started by Guest, Jan 27, 2006.

    How do I insert a checkmark into an excel spreadsheet? The shortcut does not
    work using the ALT+0252.

    Guest, Jan 27, 2006

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "Barb" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > How do I insert a checkmark into an excel spreadsheet? The shortcut does
    > not
    > work using the ALT+0252.

    If I recall, those shortcuts only work if you use the numeric keypad to
    enter them, not the numbers across the top of the main keyboard area. If
    you're already doing this, make sure the cell is formatted with a font which
    actually contains the checkmark symbol. Wingdings is one of those fonts.

    Here's a foolproof method, although it's a bit convoluted:

    1) Click Start, Run, and enter charmap. At the top, switch to the Wingdings
    font.

    2) Scroll down to the end and you'll see a checkmark symbol. Click it, then
    click the Select button, and finally, click the Copy button. The symbol is
    now on the clipboard.

    not appear correctly until you change the font in that cell to Wingdings.

    Doug Kanter, Jan 27, 2006

    neopolitan Guest

    neopolitan, Jan 27, 2006

    ü - checkmark - enter with ctrl+:,u
    û - matching x - enter with ctrl+^,u

    You can also copy and paste them. Change the font to wingdings to get the
    marks to look like a checkmar and an x.

    Guest, Jan 27, 2006

    Bob Phillips Guest

    Letter a, marlett font.

    --

    HTH

    Bob Phillips

    Bob Phillips, Jan 27, 2006

    Enter an upper-case P in a cell and then format as Wingdings 2
    --
    Gary''s Student

    Guest, Jan 27, 2006
  7. And if you're really frustrated:

    =char(252)

    You could even copy|paste special|values if you wanted. (and copy to new cells,
    too)

    And from a previous post:

    Insert Symbol was added in xl2002.

    So if you don't run xl2002+, you'll have to find a different way.

    You can hit flying windows R (or windows start button|Run)
    type charmap
    hit enter

    or even
    windows start button|Programs|accessories|System tools|charmap
    if you like to mouse.

    Chip Pearson has an addin that may help (if you're using xl2k or lower).
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/download.htm
    (look for Symbolizer and make sure you get the correct version)

    --

    Dave Peterson

    Dave Peterson, Jan 27, 2006

    Wahoo! That was fun!

    Guest, Jan 27, 2006

    Doug Kanter Guest

    And, you now have a source for lots of utterly useless symbols! But, some of
    the other peoples' methods are faster.

    Doug Kanter, Jan 27, 2006

    SharkTime

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2009
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    SharkTime, Aug 15, 2011

    sushil.soma

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    MS Excel 2010

    Insert --> Symbol-->Symbols--> Font = ZapfDingbats--> scroll down, fourth last is the tick mark symbol--> select and say insert

    :cheers:.

    sushil.soma, Jan 28, 2012