    do this? On my TI-83 Plus I could easily do this. I also know I could create
    a data table and use the table of values to chart the line in excel. But I
    want just enter the equation in excel and have excel graph it. Thanks.

    Guest, Jan 10, 2005

    Del Cotter Guest

    On Sun, 9 Jan 2005, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
    Throstle <> said:

    >I want to graph the linear equation y = 2x + 4 in microsoft excel. How do I
    >do this? On my TI-83 Plus I could easily do this. I also know I could create
    >a data table and use the table of values to chart the line in excel. But I
    >want just enter the equation in excel and have excel graph it. Thanks.

    You need only two points to define a straight line. Create a
    spreadsheet that takes the minimum and maximum values of x, and the
    values of a and b, and calculates just two values of y, and you will
    have forever more a spreadsheet that will give you a graph of y=ax+b
    whenever you want.

    --
    Del Cotter
    Thanks to the recent increase in UBE, I will soon be ignoring email

    Del Cotter, Jan 10, 2005

    Throstle,

    In addition to plotting the points by solving for X and Y, you can also have
    Excel automatically do this via the use of defined names as a data source for
    your chart. This link provides an explanation on how to chart a function:

    http://www.pdbook.com/index.php/excel/using_defined_names_to_chart_a_function/

    ----
    Regards,
    John Mansfield
    http://www.pdbook.com

    Guest, Jan 10, 2005
  4. In A1:A10 enter some x-values (say 1,2,.....)
    In B1 enter =2*A1+4
    Copy this down to B10
    Select A1:B10; click the chart wizard, and select an XY (NOT a Line) chart

    best wishes

    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme