    http://imgur.com/a/kkGv5#0

    I have all the mobo drivers installed.

    , Mar 19, 2012

  2. Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > I am trying to hook my onboard video port to a HDTV. It doesn't work.
    >
    > I am using a graphics card to drive my HDMI Monitor. If I plug the
    > cable that is plugged into the graphics card into the onboard video
    > port, the monitor goes black like the onboard video is not working.
    >
    > http://imgur.com/a/kkGv5#0
    >
    > I have all the mobo drivers installed.

    What is the motherboard make and model ?

    Your screenshot suggests the motherboard is a Gigabyte one, but I
    don't see a model number.

    Due to the varying architectures now used for motherboards, I
    also need to know the exact processor model as well. Like
    say i7-2352 or whatever. If possible, you could point me
    to a page on ark.intel.com

    In this example, you can see some second generation Core i5,
    with table entries indicating HD3000 graphics. That's why
    I need to know the processor model.

    http://ark.intel.com/products/family/59134

    If it's an AMD processor, some of those are similar to Intel
    now, and have an APU inside. And that's useful to know as
    well. You can drill down into the AMD product line here,
    but your results may be harder to quote effectively. (Rather
    than just trust a copy and paste of the eventual URL, copy
    the model number as well and paste that just in case.)

    http://products.amd.com/en-us/

    For example, this is the URL for an AMD A8-3800, after I've snipped
    the "junk" off the URL.

    http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopAPUDetail.aspx?id=17

    In some cases, by sheer accident, a user manages to build a
    computer up from parts, and there is *no* onboard graphics
    core to drive the connectors. That's what I'm checking here,
    is that "all the plumbing" needed is present :) At one
    time, if a motherboard had a "G" in the chipset name,
    that's all you needed to know. Now, it isn't that simple...

    Paul

    Paul, Mar 19, 2012

  3. Metspitzer Guest

    On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 11:27:29 -0400, Paul <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> I am trying to hook my onboard video port to a HDTV. It doesn't work.
    >>
    >> I am using a graphics card to drive my HDMI Monitor. If I plug the
    >> cable that is plugged into the graphics card into the onboard video
    >> port, the monitor goes black like the onboard video is not working.
    >>
    >> http://imgur.com/a/kkGv5#0
    >>
    >> I have all the mobo drivers installed.

    >What is the motherboard make and model ?
    >
    >Your screenshot suggests the motherboard is a Gigabyte one, but I
    >don't see a model number.
    >
    >Due to the varying architectures now used for motherboards, I
    >also need to know the exact processor model as well. Like
    >say i7-2352 or whatever. If possible, you could point me
    >to a page on ark.intel.com
    >
    >In this example, you can see some second generation Core i5,
    >with table entries indicating HD3000 graphics. That's why
    >I need to know the processor model.
    >
    >http://ark.intel.com/products/family/59134
    >
    >If it's an AMD processor, some of those are similar to Intel
    >now, and have an APU inside. And that's useful to know as
    >well. You can drill down into the AMD product line here,
    >but your results may be harder to quote effectively. (Rather
    >than just trust a copy and paste of the eventual URL, copy
    >the model number as well and paste that just in case.)
    >
    >http://products.amd.com/en-us/
    >
    >For example, this is the URL for an AMD A8-3800, after I've snipped
    >the "junk" off the URL.
    >
    >http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopAPUDetail.aspx?id=17
    >
    >In some cases, by sheer accident, a user manages to build a
    >computer up from parts, and there is *no* onboard graphics
    >core to drive the connectors. That's what I'm checking here,
    >is that "all the plumbing" needed is present :) At one
    >time, if a motherboard had a "G" in the chipset name,
    >that's all you needed to know. Now, it isn't that simple...
    >
    > Paul

    Mobo
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128475
    Chip
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070
    Graphic card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102915

    It is possible that the graphic port was destroyed by lightning. I
    thought that lightning had taken out my HDMI ports on my TV, but it
    may have taken out my Directv box, my computer port and my WDTV live
    ports all at once instead. All the devices still work, but none seem
    to be able to display HDMI.

    I just tried my HDMI ports on the TV with a laptop that was not
    involved in the lightning strike and the ports are working.

    Metspitzer, Mar 19, 2012
  4. Metspitzer Guest

    On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 10:33:23 -0400, wrote:

    >I am trying to hook my onboard video port to a HDTV. It doesn't work.
    >
    >I am using a graphics card to drive my HDMI Monitor. If I plug the
    >cable that is plugged into the graphics card into the onboard video
    >port, the monitor goes black like the onboard video is not working.
    >
    >http://imgur.com/a/kkGv5#0
    >
    >I have all the mobo drivers installed.

    I am so glad the problem was me again and not lightning. There were
    more drivers to install. I did not do this.

    Thanks everyone

    Metspitzer, Mar 19, 2012
  5. Paul Guest

    Metspitzer wrote:
    > On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 11:27:29 -0400, Paul <> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>> I am trying to hook my onboard video port to a HDTV. It doesn't work.
    >>>
    >>> I am using a graphics card to drive my HDMI Monitor. If I plug the
    >>> cable that is plugged into the graphics card into the onboard video
    >>> port, the monitor goes black like the onboard video is not working.
    >>>
    >>> http://imgur.com/a/kkGv5#0
    >>>
    >>> I have all the mobo drivers installed.

    >> What is the motherboard make and model ?
    >>
    >> Your screenshot suggests the motherboard is a Gigabyte one, but I
    >> don't see a model number.
    >>
    >> Due to the varying architectures now used for motherboards, I
    >> also need to know the exact processor model as well. Like
    >> say i7-2352 or whatever. If possible, you could point me
    >> to a page on ark.intel.com
    >>
    >> In this example, you can see some second generation Core i5,
    >> with table entries indicating HD3000 graphics. That's why
    >> I need to know the processor model.
    >>
    >> http://ark.intel.com/products/family/59134
    >>
    >> If it's an AMD processor, some of those are similar to Intel
    >> now, and have an APU inside. And that's useful to know as
    >> well. You can drill down into the AMD product line here,
    >> but your results may be harder to quote effectively. (Rather
    >> than just trust a copy and paste of the eventual URL, copy
    >> the model number as well and paste that just in case.)
    >>
    >> http://products.amd.com/en-us/
    >>
    >> For example, this is the URL for an AMD A8-3800, after I've snipped
    >> the "junk" off the URL.
    >>
    >> http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopAPUDetail.aspx?id=17
    >>
    >> In some cases, by sheer accident, a user manages to build a
    >> computer up from parts, and there is *no* onboard graphics
    >> core to drive the connectors. That's what I'm checking here,
    >> is that "all the plumbing" needed is present :) At one
    >> time, if a motherboard had a "G" in the chipset name,
    >> that's all you needed to know. Now, it isn't that simple...
    >>
    >> Paul

    > Mobo
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128475
    > Chip
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070
    > Graphic card
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102915
    >
    > It is possible that the graphic port was destroyed by lightning. I
    > thought that lightning had taken out my HDMI ports on my TV, but it
    > may have taken out my Directv box, my computer port and my WDTV live
    > ports all at once instead. All the devices still work, but none seem
    > to be able to display HDMI.
    >
    > I just tried my HDMI ports on the TV with a laptop that was not
    > involved in the lightning strike and the ports are working.

    OK, I think I see the problem.

    Check the manual. Under "Onboard VGA" on page 46, there
    are two options

    "Enable If No Ext PEG" (Default)
    "Always Enable"

    Since your 6970 counts as "PEG", it causes the onboard
    to be disabled (when the Default setting is being used).
    But if you switch to "Always Enable', then the BIOS will
    no longer care about the status of "PEG".

    In your current scenario, you want "Always Enable", so
    both the 6990 and the motherboard HD3000 display
    capabilities are on at the same time. Then, once
    you do that, a new Device Manager entry for HD3000
    should show up. If you never ran the motherboard without
    the 6970, you might not have bothered installing a driver
    for HD3000. So once you do "Always Enable", you'll need
    either the motherboard CD driver for HD3000, or a visit
    to Intel download site, to find a fresh driver. Or even
    Gigabyte might have one for you.

    Paul

    Paul, Mar 19, 2012