    have to retype each key. For instance if I want to backspace a word I can't
    just hold down the backspace key, I have to hit it repeatedly to make it
    work. Same with delete, the space bar, etc.

    hummer, Aug 17, 2009

  2. hummer

    Jay Freedman Guest

    hummer wrote:
    > At some point I hit some unknown key on my keyboard and now when I
    > type I have to retype each key. For instance if I want to backspace a
    > word I can't just hold down the backspace key, I have to hit it
    > repeatedly to make it work. Same with delete, the space bar, etc.

    That's a Windows setting, not a Word setting. Go to Control Panel >
    Accessibility Options and turn off the Filter Keys option. Also click the
    Settings button for it and disable the shortcut (by default, holding down
    the right Shift key for 8 seconds turns it on). You should probably disable
    the other two accessibility options, too, to avoid unpleasant surprises.

    --
    Regards,
    Jay Freedman

    Jay Freedman, Aug 17, 2009

  3. It's not all that difficult to hold that shift key too long -- if you
    haven't decided exactly how to start the next sentence, or which name
    to type. But when I do it, Word or Windows asks me if I want to invoke
    that no-repeat feature.

    Peter T. Daniels, Aug 18, 2009