How do I Force CD/DVD Drive Letters to stay put?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Configuration' started by Guest, Jun 12, 2006.

    Is there a positive way force the drive letters to stay put? (e.g. a registry
    edit?, start-up file edit?, anything?)

    I have been fighting this issue for a while now, and am not making any
    progress.

    Using the Managment console, I have set my CD and DVD to "V" and "W"
    respectively to avoid the constant re-lettering of these drives due to the
    addition of, and/or removal of, removeable storage (USB memory devices or
    flash memory cards).

    For some reason, , Windows XP forgets the letters that I have reassigned
    the CD/DVD drives, and it reassigns new letters to them again (and to any
    removable drive still in place), to whatever configuration it thinks
    appropriate at that moment (the letters vary). The end result is that my
    CD-ROM and DVD-ROM always seemed to be labeled with a different drive letter.
    The re-assignment of drive letters seems to be quite random, it occurs even
    when simply re-starting, and/or with or without additional USB drives or
    devices. I have also noticed that the change of some USB devices almost
    always triggers the drive re-lettering. Also, leaving a CD or DVD in one of
    the drives during re-boot will also cause a letter change.

    I have already tried the phantom drive removal trick, and uninstalled and
    reinstalled all of my drives (except C-drive) - several times. The
    DevMgmtX-cmd/ uninstall and re-install of the devices is also ineffective -
    it sometimes works, until I introduce additional devices, then I get random
    drive letters again.

    At this point, I have even tried a new primary hard drive and complete
    re-install of Windows XP - same problem...

    --------------------------------
    Additional details:

    Computer is ABIT IC7-G M/B, Pentium 4, Windows XP Pro - SP2, 2 IDE
    Harddrives, 1 IDE CD R/RW, 1 IDE DVD R/RW, USB Keyboard, USB Mouse, and USB
    multifunction printer. All changes made using Administrator account.

    Non-removable items: The CD and DVD drives are on the same IDE cable,
    jumpered as slave and master - they do not work with any other jumper
    settings. The hard drives are on the other IDE cable also jumpered as slave
    and master. The card reader and USB port is a panel mounted unit on the
    front of the computer, connected to USB slots on the motherboard. The cards
    always go into the same slot per type, same slot also with the USB plug type
    memory devices. The motherboard also has built-in USB ports which are
    connected to the keyboard, mouse, and printer.

    Removable items: USB Scanner, USB Memory stick, various memory cards (USB
    Interface).

    Thank you for your help

    Guest, Jun 12, 2006

    Uwe Sieber Guest

    John Gregory wrote:

    > At this point, I have even tried a new primary hard drive and complete
    > re-install of Windows XP - same problem...

    Then I would assume a hardware problem with your CD/DVD drives.

    Solution if it is a hardware problem: Get an PCI IDE controller
    and attach the CD and the DVD drive to their own port.
    I suggest an good old Promise Ultra 33 or Ultra 66. They are
    cheap at eBay because of their 128 GB limit which is no problem
    for CD/DVD drives.

    Uwe

    Uwe Sieber, Jun 13, 2006

    Thank you for your response.

    I have tried all of the software solutions I could find, perhaps the PCI/IDE
    crad would solve this issue. I will get one and try it.

    Thank you.

    Guest, Jun 13, 2006