How do I fix this: Print spooler service is not running??

Reaction score
=?Utf-8?B?amlsbHRodXJzZGFsZQ==?= said:
I can't print anything! It keeps saying "Operation could not be completed. The print spooler service is not running." Please help me!

I've had this problem a lot with both Windows 7 (64-bit) and Window XP.

There is only one solution that has worked for me, and it's not going to the "Services" and starting the Print Spooler, because the Print Spooler will just stop again within seconds or minutes.

What has worked for me (in both XP & Window 7), is to delete the contents of the following folders:

C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS

and

C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers

Once I do this, I do not have to reinstall my printers. I just physically disconnect my local printer (unplugged the USB cable), wait a few seconds, and then reconnect it.

Hope this helps. Let me know.

If it does, spread it around.

- Joe

Reaction score
Here is the solution I found. I was not trying to install an actual printer, more like a PDF printer (so the problem was clearly not a faulty printer or a bad printer driver). I tried going to services, starting the Print Spooler manually (it was already set to automatic, so that was not my problem). That did not work, but if you manually try to start it, the system will give you a specific error number. Here is the solution I found for that specific error number.

The link with the explanation is below.

Click Start, Run and type the following:

CMD /K SC CONFIG SPOOLER DEPEND= RPCSS

http://www.winhelponline.com/articl...-start-when-starting-the-Spooler-Service.html

Reaction score
jordan g said:
Ok if anyone cannot print or install a printer because it says The print spooler service is not running then follow these easy steps to get the service running

start>control panel>administrative Tools>Services>scroll down to print spooler>right click it>click properties>make sure you are on the general tab>go down to startup type and make sure its on automatic>then hit apply>then click the start button under the service status>apply again>hit OK. now exit all of the services and administrative tools and go to where your printer and faxes are located and now try to install a printer or try to print.

Hoped i Helped :)
1st post to (signed up to say this cause no site says this just one of my ways of fixing things)

just saw a post above i missed you do need remote procedure call (rpc) running same thing with starting then print spooler. but check if the remote procedure call (rpc) is started because that needs to be running.

sorry i missed that post but just explained a bit better for people who might have no idea what they are doing :)

I only registered to this imazing forum to thank you very much for your perfect solution to this big problem
I was unable to use my printer :(
wallbash.gif
but after following your instruction it's now ready to print:D
thank you very much my friend :):):)

Reaction score
Hi,
I am having problems with my printer,I have tried all the suggested fixes without any luck.
When I go to start/administrative tools/services/print spooler/properties it is set to automatic,when I click start I get the message :
"could not start the print spooler service on local computer"
"error 2:the system cannot find the file specified"

anybody any ideas ?

TYIA.

Reaction score
Ok if anyone cannot print or install a printer because it says The print spooler service is not running then follow these easy steps to get the service running

start>control panel>administrative Tools>Services>scroll down to print spooler>right click it>click properties>make sure you are on the general tab>go down to startup type and make sure its on automatic>then hit apply>then click the start button under the service status>apply again>hit OK. now exit all of the services and administrative tools and go to where your printer and faxes are located and now try to install a printer or try to print.
========================================================
Stumbled on to this site, and this post. Thanks very much. Problem is fixed.

Reaction score
I only registered to this imazing forum to thank you very much for your perfect solution to this big problem
I was unable to use my printer :(
wallbash.gif
but after following your instruction it's now ready to print:D
thank you very much my friend :):):)

This worked for me, too. Thank you very much, my wife will let me live one more day.

Reaction score

1st post to (signed up to say this cause no site says this just one of my ways of fixing things)

just saw a post above i missed you do need remote procedure call (rpc) running same thing with starting then print spooler. but check if the remote procedure call (rpc) is started because that needs to be running.

sorry i missed that post but just explained a bit better for people who might have no idea what they are doing :)
Just signed up to say thank you! I was very frustrated by this problem and this advice solved it!

Reaction score
samrat747 thank you. this worked. I did have to hit the start button twice on upper left side of screen. printer spool was set at automatic. :bow:

Reaction score
hello jordan g your fix for the printer spooler helped me out immensily. i wanted to thank you brother.

Reaction score
I can't print anything! It keeps saying "Operation could not be completed. The print spooler service is not running." Please help me![/QUOTE]

Reaction score

>-----Original Message-----
>I can't print anything! It keeps saying "Operation

could not be completed. The print spooler service is not
running." Please help me!
>.
>Try setting the print spooler service to automatic.

Admin tools>services>print spooler right click on it and
select properties set to automatic (RPC) Remote
Proceedure Call also needs to be runnung.

I tried this and clicked start - failed as error 1075 comes up - what is this?

Reaction score
I tried many suggestions that I found online. The following worked for me:
1. Turned off AVG anti-virus programs for 15 minutes.
2. Accessed print spooler via “Run” by typing “services.msc”
3. Started Print Spooler and this time it did not automatically stop.
4. This allowed the printers to be accessed in the printer control panel. However, Word did not show any printers as available. Got the “active directory domain services is currently unavailable” error (AC DS) message.
5. Immediately restarted computer.
6. Immediately after computer started, turned off AVG programs for 15 minutes
7. This seemed to take care of the AC DS issue. Printers showed up in Word.
8. Restarted AVG programs.

Reaction score

thanks bro, you have saved my life....:)

Ask a Question