how do I enter a square feet symbol in excel?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Excel New Users' started by Guest, Sep 15, 2005.

    how do I enter the small '2' as a symbol for 'square feet' in microsoft excel?

    Guest, Sep 15, 2005

  2. Highlight the 2
    Click on <Format><Cells><Superscript><OK>
    Job done

    Although you will see the 2 as superscript in the cell in the edit line (if
    you don't edit directly in the cell) it will appear as ordinary text. Yet
    another anomaly from Mr Gates.

    Regards.

    Bill Ridgeway
    Computer Solutions

    Bill Ridgeway, Sep 15, 2005

    swatsp0p Guest

    If you are using this as a calculation entry, use the carat (^) [shifte
    number 6] e.g. "equals 4 squared" would be =4^2

    If it is a text entry, as in "16 square feet", enter "162 feet", the
    in the formula bar, highlight the '2' and choose Format>Cells from th
    main menu. On the Font tab, tick the 'superscript' option and clic
    OK. The result will be "16-2- feet" with the -2- as the small, raise
    squared sign.

    Of course both of these apply to any power as well.

    HTH

    Bruc

    --
    swatsp0

    swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1510
    View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=46785

    swatsp0p, Sep 15, 2005

    One other option is to use the shortcut code which is available in most
    applications.

    The "code" for the small 2 is: Alt + 253 (be sure to hold down the alt
    button while typing in 253)

    So your number would look like this: 125²

    Guest, Sep 15, 2005

    swatsp0p Guest

    SRS Wrote:
    > One other option is to use the shortcut code which is available in most
    > applications.
    >
    > The "code" for the small 2 is: Alt + 253 (be sure to hold down th
    > alt
    > button while typing in 253)
    >
    > So your number would look like this: 125²
    >
    > "swatsp0p" wrote:
    >

    > > If you are using this as a calculation entry, use the carat (^

    > [shifted
    > > number 6] e.g. "equals 4 squared" would be =4^2
    > >
    > > If it is a text entry, as in "16 square feet", enter "162 feet"

    > then
    > > in the formula bar, highlight the '2' and choose Format>Cells fro

    > the
    > > main menu. On the Font tab, tick the 'superscript' option and click
    > > OK. The result will be "16-2- feet" with the -2- as the small

    > raised
    > > squared sign.
    > >
    > > Of course both of these apply to any power as well.
    > >
    > > HTH
    > >
    > > Bruce
    > >

    > > --
    > > swatsp0p

    > > swatsp0p's Profile

    > http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15101
    > > View this thread

    This is a good tip (if one can remember the ASCII codes for thes
    things). Note that the numbers must be entered through the numeri
    keypad, not the top row of numbers on the keyboard for this to work.
    Of course, this type of entry is also treated as text and cannot b
    used for any calculations.

    Bruc

    swatsp0p, Sep 16, 2005