    tan written as 1/tan or tan^-1) for a set of equations I'm doing. I've tried
    various combinations of writing it with brackets to separate terms but it
    still says there is an error.

    Guest, Mar 3, 2006

    Niek Otten Guest

    =1/TAN(A1)
    =TAN(A1)^(-1)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    Niek Otten, Mar 3, 2006

    Per Excel Help:

    ATAN()
    Returns the arctangent, or inverse tangent, of a number.

    Is that what you're looking for?
    (If not, check Excel's math and trig functions.)

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

    Guest, Mar 3, 2006
  4. Niek,
    I think we have a language problem here.
    Inverse of a trig function is the TAN^1(x) not (TAN(x))^-10.
    We talk about Arcsine, Arctan so we use ASIN, ATAN
    best wishes
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    Bernard Liengme, Mar 3, 2006

    Harlan Grove Guest

    Bernard Liengme wrote...
    >I think we have a language problem here.
    >Inverse of a trig function is the TAN^1(x) not (TAN(x))^-10.

    ^-1 rather than ^-10.

    The proper term for 1/x is the reciprocal of x. Inverse is a more
    general term which needs context such as additive, multiplicative or
    function.

    >We talk about Arcsine, Arctan so we use ASIN, ATAN
    >best wishes

    As for arctangents, when possible, better to use ATAN2 than ATAN since
    the former can handle 90 and 270 (or -90) degree angles.

    Harlan Grove, Mar 3, 2006

    Niek Otten Guest

    Hi Bernard,

    I was afraid of that, but took the OP's text literally:

    <written as 1/tan or tan^-1>

    Hopefully we get some sort of feedback to see what the intention was

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    Niek Otten, Mar 3, 2006

    nishadul

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2010
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    inv tan

    nishadul, Jul 8, 2010

    nishadul

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2010
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    119/120 = inv tan then show result 44.76(in Scientific Calculator) , How to write this calculation in excel

    Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
    nishadul, Jul 8, 2010

    nishadul

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2010
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    Inv tan Function

    Calculation is not work correctly.

    I have use scientific calculator of my PC as follows step by step:

    1. Open Calculator of your PC
    2. Select Scientific Calculator from View menu
    3. Type 119/120
    4. Click = button
    5. Show result: 0.99166666666666666
    6. Enable Inv check box
    7. Click tan button
    8. Show result: 44.76

    We need this result in use Microsoft Excel

    Best regards,
    Nishadul

    nishadul, Jul 25, 2010

    nishadul

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2010
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0

    nishadul, Jul 25, 2010

    davidsmilburn

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Your Calculator is showing the result in degrees whereas excel works in radians. If you want a result in degrees you need to multiply the function by 180/pi

    i.e.

    =(ATAN(119/120)*(180/PI()))

    Should return a result of 44.762

    davidsmilburn, Nov 9, 2011

    trio

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2011
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    I have found this method to be so much easier to read...

    =(DEGREES(ATAN(119/120)))​

    trio, Dec 20, 2011

    mudassir.ariff

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hey guys, it was difficult for me to find it too...
    here you...
    you want inverse of sin i.e. sin^-1
    Solution:
    a.) sin 90 = 1, for this type :
    =sin(radians(90))
    only then the answer will return as 1 in degrees else it will give you 0.894 i.e. in radians.
    if you type " =sin(90) " you will 0.894 which will be in radians.

    b.) inverse sin (1) = 90, for this type :
    =DEGREES(ASIN(1))
    Only typing degrees in inverse funtion should be used as then the actual answer will be in degrees...

    c.) inverse tan (1) = 45, for this type :
    =DEGREES(ATAN(1))

    d) inverse cos (1) = 0, for this type :
    =DEGREES(ACOS(1))

    I know this is the most helpful material ever posted with all the details.
    keep posting,
    ragards,
    Mudassir Ariff
    Pakistan