    inbox that I use daily. Can I do it? What are the steps?

    Thanks,

    Jay

    JayD, Apr 26, 2008

  2. You can certainly use the old .PST file, but it will still be limited in
    size due to the format of the file - the old file is in ANSI format and
    Outlook 2003 and later use Unicode format. There is no convenient way to
    convert an old format file into a new format file, so the simplest thing to
    do is drag and drop the contents of the old file into a new format file.
    This wouldn't have to be done all at once because you can have more than one
    ..PST file attached to your Outlook profile; create a new format file, set it
    as default, keep both files attached and move data at your leisure. You can
    use the old file as long as you like without trouble so long as you don't
    add data to it and run the risk of corrupting it

    Hal
    --
    Hal Hostetler, CPBE --

    Hal Hostetler [MVP-P/I], Apr 26, 2008

  3. JayD

    JayD Guest

    Re: How do I convert my Outlook 2002 .pst file for use in Outlook

    Hal,

    Thanks very much for your answers. I clearly understand the first part of
    your answer but I'm not totally understanding the part about "drag and drop
    the contents of the old file into a new file format file." If I have
    Outlook open with the data file "old OL2002.pst" open and active, how do I
    selectively choose 50-100-200 emails to drag and drop into "new OL2003.pst"
    data file --- since it is not open and active? I'm not getting this part
    yet. Can you please clarify this procedure?

    Also, I enjoyed reading about the Bad News Blues Band. I'm sort of a
    closet Blues fan. What's your conection to the band? Looks like a fun
    group!

    Thanks for your help.

    Jay

    JayD, Apr 27, 2008
  4. Re: How do I convert my Outlook 2002 .pst file for use in Outlook

    Ah, but the "new OL2003.pst" WILL be open and active; both can be attached,
    open, and active, but only one can be the default delivery location. You've
    got Outlook 2000 now and are moving to Outlook 2003; it should go something
    like this:

    1. Uninstall Outlook 2000. Your data files and profile information will
    remain untouched by this. To be absolutely safe, you can make a copy (with
    Outlook closed) of your .PST file and place it in a different folder
    somewhere.

    2. Install Outlook 2003. It should pick up your old profile information and
    ..PST file in the process. When finished, you should have Outlook 2003 with
    profile, account, and data files (more or less) ready to go.

    3. Use 'Tools|E-mail Accounts||View or change...' to create a new Outlook
    data file in the new format and set it as default. Now, all new email will
    go to this .PST file. You'll also see BOTH sets of folders in the folder
    tree.

    4. Drag stuff from the old folder set to the new folder set at your leisure.

    Hal
    --
    Hal Hostetler, CPBE --
    Live at Hot Licks - www.badnewsbluesband.com

    Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I], Apr 28, 2008
  5. Re: How do I convert my Outlook 2002 .pst file for use in Outlook

    Oops, forgot about the band. My connection is weekend road manager, plus
    they're all very dear friends, PLUS they play Smokin' hot Blues! Don't take
    my word for it, their stuff is available on cdbaby.com; I think you'll like
    what you hear...

    Hal

    Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I], Apr 28, 2008