    usual paragraph format menu, but that does not work.
    I would also like to change the style in the bubbles that appear for text
    alterations, e.g., Deleted and Formatted. Thanks for any suggestions.

    dnover, Sep 20, 2008

  2. dnover

    grammatim Guest

    You need to find the list of All Styles Used in your Document (you get
    at it differently in the different versions of Word), and you'll find
    one called Comment. Right-click on it, choose Modify, and make your
    changes as in any other style.

    grammatim, Sep 20, 2008

  3. The font itself can be changed, but font size and line spacing affect only
    what you see in the Reviewing Pane (at least in Word 2007 and Word 2003).
    But, I don't quite understand why dnover is seeing double-spaced in bubbles.
    I see only single spacing there.

    As far as I can tell, if there is a style for Deleted and Inserted text, it
    is not accessible. You are limited to the options provided in Track Changes
    Options.

    --
    Herb Tyson MS MVP
    Author of the Word 2007 Bible

    Herb Tyson [MVP], Sep 20, 2008
  4. The style Balloon Text has some effect on text in balloons (comments as well
    as insertions/deletions).

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Sep 20, 2008
  5. Hmmm... as far as I've been able to determine, the Balloon Text style will
    affect comments in balloons only if you actually apply that style to them...
    the same is true of any style applied to comments in balloons (but balloon
    comments will always default to using the Comment Text style, and won't use
    certain aspects of style-based formatting).

    I don't see any effect on Inserted/Deleted text in Balloons.

    Can describe what steps you're taking?

    Herb Tyson [MVP], Sep 21, 2008
  6. I almost never use balloons, but my recollection (and this may have changed
    in Word 2007) is that both Balloon Text and Comment Text affect balloons. I
    think it was Bob Buckland who pointed this out. I see, however, that I have
    this turned around. Balloon Text is the character style that is used for the
    "Comment" or "Deleted" or whatever label. By default (in Word 2003, at
    least), it is 8 pt Tahoma. Oddly, the style definition doesn't specify bold,
    although these labels do appear bold. Even more interestingly, if I change
    the size of Balloon Text to 12 pt Tahoma, the size of the text in the
    balloons (which is TNR) is also increased. The balloons still definitely
    show Comment Text (in the comments) and Normal (in the deleted items).

    Even more interesting, the balloons show Comment Text as being 10-pt TNR and
    the Normal text in the Deleted balloon as 12-pt TNR, despite the fact that
    they are obviously the same size!

    That's not the worst news, though: it seems that in my attempts to help
    another user the other day, I have managed to get my Normal style
    contaminated Asian (SimSun) font and Chinese (PRC) language. <sigh>

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Sep 21, 2008
  7. No good deed ever goes unpunished.

    Herb Tyson [MVP], Sep 21, 2008
  8. Yes, well, luckily the solution was not too difficult. I started in Safe
    Mode to verify that, by default, Normal doesn't have these settings. Then
    renamed Normal.dot, opened Word, used Organizer to copy Normal from the new
    Normal.dot to Normalold.dot, closed Word, renamed Normalold.dot back to
    Normal.dot (as an aside, Word had *not* created a Normal.dot file as a
    result of my just opening and closing Word), and was good to go.

    Interestingly, during all this foofaraw, I kept being prompted to save
    Normal.dot every time I closed Word. I kept saying no. After I copied the
    default Normal style into it and started over, I did not get the prompt. I
    consider that a step in the right direction as well.

    I can't remember whether I got the prompt when I closed Word after renaming
    Normal.dot. It could be that my saying no prevented the Normal.dot file from
    being created. It may be that those who observe that a Normal.dot is created
    in these circumstances are those who don't have Word set to prompt or who
    answer yes to the prompt.

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Sep 21, 2008