How do I change data labels on scatterplot

I create scatter plots using two values (salary, year of hire) that relate to
particular employees. I want to label each point with the contents of a
third cell (initials of the individual related to the point). I have figured
out how to change the label one point at a time, but I'd like to simply
relate the contents of a third column to the markers defined by two other
columns. Help!!

Jim Cone

The free Excel add-in "Chart Data Labels" will do that.
It can also include the cell formatting in the data label and
link the cell contents to the label. Download from ...
No registration required.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"ahannigan"
<[email protected]>
wrote in message
I create scatter plots using two values (salary, year of hire) that relate to
particular employees. I want to label each point with the contents of a
third cell (initials of the individual related to the point). I have figured
out how to change the label one point at a time, but I'd like to simply
relate the contents of a third column to the markers defined by two other
columns. Help!!

This looks terrific! Do you have any idea where I can find the tools menu
(to get to Add-Ins) in Excel 2007?

Jon Peltier

Ha, they took that out. The old two-click process to get to the add-ins
dialog now takes at least four or five clicks. Let's see if I can remember
(Office 2007 is on another computer).

Office menu
Excel Options button
Add-ins item in the left column
Manage: Excel add-ins at the bottom
Go button

- Jon

Jim Cone

The program will not install on XL2007 as it adds items to a "menu bar"
and there is no menu bar in XL2007.
The program code will have to be modified. That will be difficult for me,
as MS changed the code language required to work with their new Ribbon.
It appears to me as if they are trying to force a complete break between
previous versions and XL2007.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

<[email protected]>
wrote in message
This looks terrific! Do you have any idea where I can find the tools menu
(to get to Add-Ins) in Excel 2007?

Jim,

If you are using commandbars to implement the menuing structure, 2007 will
stick all of your work under the Add-Ins tab. So, it is *possible* the
add-in will continue to work under 2007. Do note that you may still run
afoul of other changes MS made to its Office software.

Tushar Mehta
http://www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom business solutions leveraging a multi-disciplinary approach

Jim Cone said:
The program will not install on XL2007 as it adds items to a "menu bar"
and there is no menu bar in XL2007.
The program code will have to be modified. That will be difficult for me,
as MS changed the code language required to work with their new Ribbon.
It appears to me as if they are trying to force a complete break between
previous versions and XL2007.
{snip}

Jim Cone

Tushar,
Thanks for your encouraging response.
(it would also be nice to hear back from "ahannigan" about his experience)

Except for your response,I have not seen/heard of anyone reporting their
results from attempting to use "prior" add-ins in xl07.
Other than the rows/columns count issue (which I won't have a problem with),
are there other major code issues?
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Tushar Mehta"
<[email protected]>

Jim Cone said:
The program will not install on XL2007 as it adds items to a "menu bar"
and there is no menu bar in XL2007.
The program code will have to be modified. That will be difficult for me,
as MS changed the code language required to work with their new Ribbon.
It appears to me as if they are trying to force a complete break between
previous versions and XL2007.
{snip}

I have done only limited testing with existing code and 2007. My Plot
Manager (about as simple as one can get in terms of the UI) works fine.

The Workbook Navigator, which has received several kudos for integrated and
simplified navigation, is not as elegant any more. XL creates a 'Custom
Toolbars' section in the Add-Ins tab and puts what was a floating commandbar
in there. So, it is not as convenient as being able to keep the navigator
where you prefer.

Have other things broken as far as VBA goes? I haven't had time to do an
extensive review of 2007 but I would assume the answer is yes, especially
when it comes to charting. MS replaced the old chart object model with a new
one that is "consistent" across Office. In the process, it has documented UI
features that are "deprecated" (don't you just love the euphemism for "we
couldn't, or don't want to, get it to work?") such as the ability to move a
point in the chart and have the value in the cell update itself. There *may*
be features in VBA that don't work because of the new implementation. Not to
mention others that are unintentionally "deprecated."

Tushar Mehta
http://www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom business solutions leveraging a multi-disciplinary approach

Jim Cone

Tushar,
"unintentionally deprecated" - That's a good one; the fun may just be starting.
Jim Cone

"Tushar Mehta"
<[email protected]>