How do I access the "Start" menu if clicking on "Start" does not produce a drop-down menu, and resta

G

Hi,

I am trying to eradicate a virus from my computer. I need to restart my computer in safe mode to do so. The Help menu tells me to go to the "Start" menu and choose to restart in safe mode (or possibly MS DOS?)

The problem is that when I click on the "Start" button, no drop-down menu appears. I have tried clicking the "Restart" button, but no Safe Mode or MS DOS option appears there either. All Restart will do is restart the computer immediately into Windows XP

I tried going into Control Panel, then into System, then to Advanced, then to Startup and Recovery. I set the "display list of operating systems" time to 100 seconds (it had been on zero), and set the "display recovery options when needed" time to 100 seconds as well. This did not produce any result. I did go back into the check box area to make sure the 100 seconds change had applied correctly, and it had on both display options

I have not used XP much, and I have no idea what to do. I am worried about what the virus is doing to my comp as I take the time to write this. I appreciate any and all help that anyone can give me

Sincerely

Sonnic

W

Willie

On bootup, try tapping F8 several times.
Willie

Sonnicbooms said:
Hi,

I am trying to eradicate a virus from my computer. I need to restart my
computer in safe mode to do so. The Help menu tells me to go to the "Start"
menu and choose to restart in safe mode (or possibly MS DOS?).
The problem is that when I click on the "Start" button, no drop-down menu
appears. I have tried clicking the "Restart" button, but no Safe Mode or MS
DOS option appears there either. All Restart will do is restart the
computer immediately into Windows XP.
I tried going into Control Panel, then into System, then to Advanced, then
to Startup and Recovery. I set the "display list of operating systems" time
to 100 seconds (it had been on zero), and set the "display recovery options
when needed" time to 100 seconds as well. This did not produce any result.
I did go back into the check box area to make sure the 100 seconds change
had applied correctly, and it had on both display options.
I have not used XP much, and I have no idea what to do. I am worried
about what the virus is doing to my comp as I take the time to write this.
I appreciate any and all help that anyone can give me.

Ask a Question