    What does it mean? Should I keep the hd or get rid of it?
    If keep, can anything be done about the failong smart test?

    Ran

    chermesh, Nov 16, 2009

  2. chermesh

    Rod Speed Guest

    chermesh wrote

    > I ran DLGDiag on my internal WD2500JB hd. The result aren't learcut.
    > My disk failed SMART but passed Advanced tests.
    > What does it mean?

    That its a poor diagnostic.

    > Should I keep the hd or get rid of it?

    Depends on the detail of the SMART report.

    Post the Everest SMART report for the drive.

    > If keep, can anything be done about the failong smart test?

    Depends on the results of the Everest SMART report.

    Rod Speed, Nov 16, 2009

  3. chermesh

    Arno Guest

    chermesh <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I ran DLGDiag on my internal WD2500JB hd. The result aren't learcut.
    > My disk failed SMART but passed Advanced tests.

    That can happen sometimes. SMART predicts that your disk will be
    dying in the near future, but the advanced test checks the
    surface and tries to find out whether it already is partially
    dead. It is possible that SMART has reasons to believe death is
    imminent, but some predicted modes of dying will not result
    in failures before.

    > What does it mean? Should I keep the hd or get rid of it?
    > If keep, can anything be done about the failong smart test?

    If you have a failed SMART status, the disk is toast, unless
    you have a really severe issue with the PSU, heat or vibration,
    which can cause disk problems when the disk is actiually fine.

    In any case, expect imminent disk death with loss of all data,
    i.e. back up now.

    Arno
    --
    Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email:
    ----

    Arno, Nov 17, 2009
  4. chermesh

    chermesh

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2005
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    SMART Report

    The drive's SMART report indicates "Spin-Up time" problems. The DLGDiag information says:

    ID - 3, Value - 192, Treshold - 21.

    All other test are OK.

    The Everest SMART report states "OK. This value is normal"

    chermesh, Nov 17, 2009