    Hi. I have about a zillion charts to update on a daily basis in the same
    worksheet. I wondered if there was a way to update all the charts at once?
    Thanks

    emsy85, Jun 5, 2008

  2. The charts are presumably based on data in one or more worksheets, so to
    update your charts you need to update the worksheets which include the data.
    I'm sorry if you find that the answer is as unclear as the question was.
    --
    David Biddulph

    David Biddulph, Jun 5, 2008

  3. emsy85

    emsy85 Guest

    Thanks for the response. The charts are feeding from various spreadsheets
    which are updated daily with large amounts of data. At the moment I manually
    update each chart and extend the data source by one day each day. I wondered
    if there was a way of updating all the charts at the same time once the data
    is updated.

    emsy85, Jun 5, 2008
  4. emsy85

    Jon Peltier Guest

    There are a few options.

    1. If you're running Excel 2003, define the source data as a List (data
    menu). In Excel 2007, Lists were renamed Tables. In both cases, any
    formulas, including chart series formulas, which reference the entire column
    of a List or Table will update as the list or table adds or removes rows.

    2. If you can't do #1, make dynamic charts which have dynamic ranges
    defining their data regions. This is covered here:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/DynamicColumnChart1.html

    3. If the changes are simple, and the sheet names are not too intricate, you
    could try the (free) series formula editor on my web site:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ChgSrsFmla.html

    This is particularly useful if all you have to change is, for example, the
    last row number in the source data. It does the active chart or any number
    of charts at a time.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    _______

    Jon Peltier, Jun 5, 2008
  5. emsy85

    emsy85 Guest

    Jon - Thanks so much. I already found some info on your website which has
    helped.

    emsy85, Jun 5, 2008
  6. I saw your post from 2008 about wanting to easily update multiple excel charts or graphs without having to change the SourceData for each graph every day or week (however frequent the time-scale happens to be).

    If this subject is still of any slightest interest, please let me know.

    I use scores of 12-week graphs that must update every week (adding the new figures each week and discarding the figures from 13 weeks ago). Manually, this could be VERY time consuming.

    I just conceived, tested and now use a tamper-proof and simple solution that works beautifully and automatically. I just implemented this in my own graphs and pie charts, et al. The charts update as soon as the most current figures are entered.

    It is a comparatively simple and is a clever use of embedding the functions "VLOOKUP()" and "NOW()".

    Because it uses "NOW()", the right-hand side of the chart (if you want a line or bar chart) is always the most current data.

    To do this, you create what I call a "mirror worksheet". This mirrors the worksheet containing that contains the SourceData. Because the mirror uses "NOW()" the results in the "mirror worksheet" are constantly updating (on their own) to the newest data on the SourceData sheet.

    The "VLOOKUP()" function is used to create the mirror and "NOW()" is used to be constantly looking up the most current SourceData information based on your computer clock.

    The beauty is that the chart's data source never has to change because the mirror constantly reflects only the most current information on its own, based on your computer clock.

    Once this is done, the mirror sheet can be HIDDEN and never touched again. The graphs will update automatically from then on and once it is set up.

    Exactly how to set this up can be figured out with the above information, but I will be doing a full write-up on how to do this with more specific directions later.

    Let me know if there is interest and I will hurry up with the full write-up.

    Richard

    Richard Valle, Jan 4, 2011
  7. emsy85

    joek003

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yes, Richard, I would be interested in your write up.

    Joe K.

    joek003, Jun 11, 2012