    settings have been changed. I just wondered if there was even a way to reset
    the software to have it back to its orginal default settings, the way it was
    when I first used it.

    Guest, Sep 5, 2006

    Jezebel Guest

    Most of the settings are stored in normal.dot. If you delete this, Word will
    create a new 'clean' one next time you start it.

    Jezebel, Sep 5, 2006

  3. As Jezebel says, you can delete Normal.dot, but we generally advise just
    renaming it until you figure out what you've lost by doing that. Then the
    customizations you've accumulated over the years can be (mostly) reclaimed,
    if desired, via the Organizer. Other custom settings are stored in the
    Registry.

    To get an idea of what Word will be like if you blow it back to its
    out-of-the-box state, try starting it with the /a switch (see
    http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm for instructions)
    or, for recent versions, start in Office Safe Mode by holding down the Ctrl
    key while Word loads. This will start Word without Normal.dot, the Registry,
    or any add-ins. If you like it that way, then you can go ahead and delete
    Normal.dot with impunity.

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Sep 5, 2006

    Graham Mayor Guest

    Most of the rest are stored in the Word data key in the registry so delete
    (or rename) that one too. http://www.gmayor.com/my_toolbars_are_missing.htm
    will point the way.

    --
    Graham Mayor - Word MVP