How can I properly configure my network for sharing.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Networking' started by sefs, Dec 8, 2009.

  1. sefs

    sefs Guest

    This is a question about both xp and vista to a lesser extent. I can't
    find the proper english group for xp netowrking in the newsgroup list so
    I am posting here.

    I have 6 workstaions. a mix of xp and vista. I am hoping that I can
    configure the vista machines in the same way I am doing xp.

    This is a workgroup environment not a AD.

    Let us say the 6 workstations are

    1) alice (xp)
    2) john (xp)
    3) mary (xp)
    4) Jack (xp)
    5) roger (xp)
    6) morgan (vista)

    Lets look at alice.

    What I have done is to create 5 user accounts (limited) on alice called
    john, mary, jack, roger and morgan. I have set their password all to
    network.

    ****QUESTION****: In order to share a folder(s) to these other 5
    workstaions do I have to manually set up each user on the alice machine
    or is there a way to see these users of the other machines listed in the
    share permissons and just select them without having to set up physical
    accounts for them on the alice machine.

    I go into "tools -> folder options ... -> view" and disable simple file
    sharing.

    I right click on the folder i want to share and click on "Sharing and
    security..."

    I share the folder click on permissions under the sharing tab, add the
    five users - I manually setup on alice machine locally with limited
    accounts - and give full control to each of the 5 users . I remove all
    other users that were in there previsously (like the everyone person).

    I go to the security tab and remove again anyone that should not be
    there like the users group. I again add the 5 local user accounts i had
    created before. I set there allow permissions as necessary. I click on
    advance uncheck inherit from parent and copy the permissions from the
    parent to this folder.

    At this point I am done but for one last question related to the 5 user
    accounts I setup on alice.

    ****QUESTION****: After setting up these five local accounts on alice
    that now means that these users can sit infront of the alice machine and
    actually log in locally. I do not one this. I basically set them up on
    alice for file/printer sharing purposes only. Is there a way to prevent
    these five accounts from logging in locally and only allow network login
    access to get to the share on the alice workstation?

    Thanks for your help.

    sefs, Dec 8, 2009

  2. Hi
    each user must have his own account and permission on any shares that you
    want to allow. It does not matter thta they are coming from the same
    computer if they are unrelated logon users they are so on the Network too.
    If you have shares that you want to permit to all of them you can switch on
    the Guest account, and allow guests on the folders that you would like to
    act as opened shares.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Dec 9, 2009

  3. sefs

    sefs Guest

    I did not understand your response. Which part of your answer responds
    to which question that was asked.

    Thanks.

    sefs, Dec 9, 2009
  4. sefs

    nsbm Guest

    Unless you have stuff you really need to hide (undeclared income, kiddie
    porn):
    In a simple, closed peer to peer network like yours there are not pressing
    security reasons to require you to set up user passwords for every user on
    every other computer on the network. In the real world this adds
    un-necessary complications and no more safety than the Vista UAC, presuming
    you have the usual internet firewall, etc (nothing special is required).
    To save yourself aggravation you can use the "public" folders which are
    already configured by Microsoft for open sharing.
    You can create new folders with open sharing or allow sharing of any
    specific folders on any computer.
    If all the shared folders are only in the public folders (or similarly
    configured folders) then no one has access to any other folders on another
    computer unless permission has been granted by the user of that computer.
    The computer owner can specifically name who has access to what folder and
    what they can do with it in terms of reading/changing the file.
    I guarantee you will spend more time hunting down lost or inadvertently
    changed or incorrectly recorded passwords than any security you will get
    from using passwords on a network the size you describe. If you are going to
    use a universal password like "network" why even bother? That is not going
    to stop anyone who has physical access to your computers.
    You can add to that the aggravation that Vista does not always hold on to
    share settings and occasionally refuses to share a properly configured file
    that it has shared in the past.
    Passwords are an option. If you are going to bother then do it right.

    nsbm, Dec 9, 2009
  5. Hi
    It might be that misunderstood your long post, Sorry.
    I think that there is some mix up in your logic between User Accounts
    concerning Network access, and User Accounts as per individuals sitting in
    front of the computer and logging in to individual accounts. It is two
    different things.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    "sefs" <> wrote in message
    >I did not understand your response. Which part of your answer responds
    > to which question that was asked.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > On 12/09/2009 01:29 AM, Jack [MVP-Networking] wrote:
    >> Hi
    >> each user must have his own account and permission on any shares that
    >> you want to allow. It does not matter thta they are coming from the same
    >> computer if they are unrelated logon users they are so on the Network
    >> too.
    >> If you have shares that you want to permit to all of them you can
    >> switch on the Guest account, and allow guests on the folders that you
    >> would like to act as opened shares.
    >> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "sefs" <> wrote in message
    >>> This is a question about both xp and vista to a lesser extent. I can't
    >>> find the proper english group for xp netowrking in the newsgroup list so
    >>> I am posting here.
    >>>
    >>> I have 6 workstaions. a mix of xp and vista. I am hoping that I can
    >>> configure the vista machines in the same way I am doing xp.
    >>>
    >>> This is a workgroup environment not a AD.
    >>>
    >>> Let us say the 6 workstations are
    >>>
    >>> 1) alice (xp)
    >>> 2) john (xp)
    >>> 3) mary (xp)