    I have a form in Word that has gray shading in the fields that users enter
    information in and I need to print a blank copy to use as a display that has
    those shaded areas.

    Guest, May 3, 2007

  2. Field shading is a non-printing attribute. You can either take a screen shot
    and include that picture in the document you print, or manually apply
    shading to the fields. (Select the shaded field area, Format - Borders and
    Shading - Shading tab, and apply the fill that corresponds to Word's
    non-printing field shading.)

    --
    Herb Tyson MS MVP
    Author of the Word 2007 Bible

    Herb Tyson [MVP], May 3, 2007

    CyberTaz Guest

    <snip>
    "Herb Tyson [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > Field shading is a non-printing attribute.

    <snip>

    ....Which is very deceptive because the shading _does_ show up in Print
    Preview if you have the Field Shading button pressed on the Forms Toolbar.

    --
    Regards |:>)
    Bob Jones

    CyberTaz, May 3, 2007
  4. Yep. But, imagine how ticked off users would be if the shading DID print.
    :)

    For the OP, here's a quick way to shade all of the fields in a document so
    that the shading will print. First, create a new character style, and call
    it something like FieldShade. The name isn't important. It must be a
    character style, though.

    Next press Alt+F9 to toggle all fields so that they display as field codes
    rather than field results (i.e., { date } rather than May 4, 2007).

    Now, press Ctrl+H. In Find what:, put ^d. This will match any field.

    Click in Replace with:, then click the More button. Click Format - Style,
    and set the style to your character shading style (e.g., FieldShade).
    Replace with: should be empty, with only the Style: indicator right below
    the empty Replace with: field.

    Click Replace All. When you're done, press Alt+F9 to turn field results back
    on.

    Herb Tyson [MVP], May 4, 2007